❥five

tyler messed around with the strings of mel's guitar as he practiced his song. the camp performance was tonight he was ready to give it his all.

"tyler!" marina hollered as she opened the door. he looked up from his lyrics. "the counselor wants to see you." she said. his expression changed as he got up. "thanks." he said as he passed by her.

ever since the little outburst from a few nights before, tyler's been very quiet and has been writing a lot. i guess that's the emotion he needed to write. he approached the door to lin's office that was a crack open.

he opened it as his eyes widened. lin was sitting in her usual comfy chair and there were two chairs placed in front of her. one empty, the other with josh in it. he sat there in all black, slouching down with his arms crossed.

"hi tyler!" lin smiled. "please take a seat." tyler hesitantly entered the room, passing by josh as he sat in his seat.

"okay!" she clapped her hands together. "so it's come to my awareness that you two boys have not gotten along on the first week, correct?". tyler answered quickly with a "mhm". josh was silent.

"okay, well here we try our best to make sure it's a friendly environment. so we are going to settle our problems here. it should be easy, you guys have only known each other for a week so it's not too serious. why don't you explain how this tension started." she said.

"he flipped off my friend and i, then during lunch spilt soda on me." tyler said first. "after he hit me with his chair, paying no attention what so ever!" tyler glared at josh. "then he called my friend a drag queen and got his friend to squirt ketchup on me!". "that wasn't even my fault! he started yelling at me about it and made fun of my hair!" josh glared back at him. "it was your fault! i didn't even know the guy!" josh straightened up.
"was not! he messes with everyone!"
"you still laughed at me!"
"cause it was funny!"
"well-"

"okay!" lin raised her voice. the two stopped and turned to look at her, their faces still angry. "this is not how we solve problems. we need to talk this out." she said calmly, hoping they too would calm down.

"the problem is that this gay twink is but hurt over the fact that he dirtied two of his shirts and doesn't know how to handle it because he's been obviously babied his whole life!" josh exclaimed.

both tyler and lin sat their in shock, her mouth wide open. tyler got up. "i'm leaving." he said as he quickly went for the door. "see there he goes!" josh shrugged. "it's not my fault he's so sensitive." tyler ran out of the building, trying to slow down his breathing pattern.

he went straight back to the cabin, slamming the door behind him. which startled the girls. he fell face first into his bed, screaming into his pillow. the girls all gave each other wide eyed expressions before melanie tried to reach out.

"tyler?" she asked. he lifted his head suddenly, his face pink from screaming. "i hate josh, i hate him so much." he sat up. melanie's worried face changed to puzzled when tyler grinned and began to laugh.

"tyler why are you laughing?" she asked. he looked at her, grin still large on his face. "i'm so ready to sing tonight." he continued to giggle.

❥❥❥

josh sat alone in his cabin. all of his cabin mates had went to go see the camp performance. he thought it was lame, but after sitting alone for 5 minutes he was dying of borden.

"screw it." he mumbled as walked through the cabin door and slammed it behind him.

when he arrived, there were tons of people there. he decided to lean against a tree in the back, since he wasn't too interested in watching these performances.

after going through a bunch a girl with a flute ending her song? melanie was next, tyler was after her. marina squeezed lizzie's hand in excitement as she watched melanie walk up on stage with her guitar. she could hear people whispering throughout the crowd and all the puzzled faces. josh chuckled slightly. "this'll be good."

she flipped one of her curly pigtails over her shoulder as she placed her fingers on the strings. she took a deep breathe, seeing marina and lizzie who smiled at her. she grinned as she began playing.

did my invitations disappear?
why'd i put my heart on every cursive letter?
tell me why the hell no ones here
tell me what to do to make it all feel better
maybe it's a cruel joke on me
whatever, whatever
just means there's way more cake for me
forever, forever

it's my party and i'll cry if i want to
cry if i want to
cry, cry
i'll cry until the candles burn down this place
i'll cry until my pity party's in flames

marina and lizzie watched as the crowd began to move their heads to the music, feeling like a proud mother watching melanie perform.

i'm laughing, i'm crying
it feels like i'm dying
i'm laughing, in crying
it feels like i'm dying
i'm laughing, i'm crying
it feels like i'm dying
i'm dying, i'm dying
it's my party and i'll cry if i want to

when melanie screamed, it sent a chill down most people's backs, marina and lizzie included. even josh. her performance was captivating and was nothing like those who performed before. suddenly those who thought she was a freak, now understood. and actually kinda loved it.

it's my party and i'll cry if i want to
cry if i want to cry,cry,cry,cry,cry...

melanie's voice faded out as she opened her eyes. she kept them closed the whole time because of how nervous she was, but when she opened them all she saw were a bunch of amazed faces. they cheered, they cheered like crazy.

melanie felt her cheeks get pink as she held out her dress and bowed. even josh was clapping. she's crazy. he thought to himself.

melanie walked off the stage and met with tyler who was next. he was wearing a black muscle tee with a red beanie on. he had his game face on and hugged melanie when she approached him.

"you did so good!" he squeaked. melanie giggled. "thank you so much! i'm so happy. you're gonna do so good tyler!"

"hopefully." tyler smiled, taking her guitar. he heard his name get called as he held his breath before walking on stage.