Chapter 6; Traitor

Revised April 2015

The trip to the Helicarrier had been worse that ever with Fury in a really bad mod, I mean really bad.

He don't stop shouting orders into his ear piece even when we arrived back at the Helicarrier. From what I heard he was putting all of SHIELD around the globe on red alert. He was also having Nat collect Banner, will Coulson was doing the hard job of dragging the Stark to HQ.

Hopping out of the Quin Jet, I followed Maria and Fury to the bridge. As we walked in we were met with a glare from Agent Coulson. Who had, non to my surprise, survived the destruction to the other HQ.
"What happened in there, and how did that man get away with the Tesseract?" he demanded.
"He took out all of the agents, Ashlin was the only one that stood in his way, but she couldn't hold him off forever." Fury stated calmly as though he was oblivious of Coulson's temper, "The real question is how did you know he was Loki?" Fury asked turning to face me.

"I don't know." I mumbled. "I feel as though I have met him before."
"And there you have it." Coulson smirked. "The traitor admits to her crimes."
"Are you calling my agent a traitor?!" Fury demanded.
"Yes I am." Coulson shot back.
"I would never betray SHIELD." I hissed in defence.
"Well then you wouldn't mind coming in for a proper report?" Coulson suggested.
"Sir?" I turned to look at Fury unsure.
"Just do what Coulson wants." Fury nodded. I turned to look at him. Shocked.

"You think I'm a traitor?" I demanded.
"No I..." he started
"SHIELD is my home, do you really think I would be a double agent. You gave me a reason for life." I proclaimed.
"Ashlin, I-"
"Don't." I hissed "There is nothing to say." And with that I stormed out. Running down corridor after corridor. I didn't know where I was heading until I reached the change rooms.

Sitting down on a bench, I held my head in my hands. The change rooms was empty, all agents were working full time, so I was alone. I got up and walked over to the sink. Splashing water on my hot face I glanced up at my reflection.

And there he stood, behind me. With the staff and all. Looking back down I knew I must have been imaging, he couldn't have got into here without being spotted.
"I know you can see me." said a voice. I span around, searching the change room for the speaker. Nothing. I slowly turned back to look at the mirror. And there he stood, smirking at me.
"You're not here." I stated understanding. My gaze left his as I looked down at my hands.
"No, I'm not. But this is the most easy way to talk to you." he replied.
"Go talk to Fury, I'm sure he will enjoy your threats more than me." I proclaimed turning away.
"Oh, I didn't come to threaten." he half laughed. "I came to offer you something."
"If it's the Tesseract, then sure, I'm listening. But anything else, I'm out of here." I replied looking back up at him.
"I know what it feels like to be unloved, unwanted, misunderstood." he stated, his tone softening.
"Don't." I warned, annoyance clear in my tone. "I know where this is going."
"Really?" he asked raising an eyebrow. His face wore a mask of confusion and surprise. "Join me and-"
"This is about Odin isn't it?" I muttered my voice trailing off where the meaning behind the words hit me.
"You do remember." he asked in surprise
"No, I don't, just names." I admitted.
"See, you don't belong, you never will, you-"
"Enough!" I shouted. The gold wave of energy shot out from around me, shattering all of the mirrors.

"Ash?!" gasped Nat from the door "Are you ok, I heard glass breaking?"
"Yeah, I'm fine." I mumbled.
"Well Fury wants you to report to the bridge." she remarked. "You weren't answering your com."
"Fury, wants me around when the world is brink of war?" I asked shocked.
"No." Nat replied. "He needs you." Sighing I ran my hand through my hair. "Come on Ash, if you say no then I won't have anyone to play Uno with." I finally nodded reluctantly.