Chapter 16; Amends

Revised May 2015

I walked around the destroyed streets of New York. Picking my way through the smashed cars and building rubble, I made my way towards Central Park. My thoughts wondered, only to be interrupted by the blast of Fury's voice.
"Agent. I need you back at HQ." he stated.
"Why?" I asked. "Sir." I quickly added. Hoping that after all that had happened today, I could find a little peace.
"Because you need to train." Fury snapped.

"Hang on. I just saved the world, and all you can think out is my training?" I demanded. I knew I was out of line but I didn't really care.
"Ashlin, I-"
"No. I don't want to hear it. I'll train tomorrow." I said a little to sharply.
"Fine." sighed Fury. "At least come back to HQ by three thirty."
"Yes sir." I mumbled.

✩★✩

I hopped out of the jet, onto the runway. Avoiding any workers or pilots I made my way towards the Bridge. I entered to find Maria talking to Fury. Her gaze turned to me when I entered.
"Is everything ok?" I asked

"Yes." Maria smiled. Nodding, I turned to leave. Making my way to the Agent locker rooms, I pulled out my uniform and my last bottle of shampoo.

✩★✩

Towel in hand, I made my way through the living quarter wing. I did my best to make my way down corridors that hadn't been destroyed in Loki's escape earlier.
"Hey Ash." Someone called as they ran towards me. "Wait up." I turned to find a tall guy standing beside me.
"Trip." I laughed. "I haven't seen you on like... Two months."
"Exactly my thoughts." He laughed. I had spent my first five months as his sparing partner in almost every training session.
"Room 2619." He announced. "Drop by some time."
"I will." I smiled before he jogged off towards the dinning hall. I missed when my life was as simple as his. Six days a week, fourteen hours a day training. And in what was left of the day was spent eating and sleeping.

I came to a door. Pushing it open to reveal my tiny bedroom. Fury stood looking at my book shelf which was jammed full of books.
"How do you even get the time to read?" asked Fury when he heard me enter.
"I don't sleep well." I answered as I placed my towel and gear down.
"You're gonna need that." Fury said turning to face me.
"Why?" I asked
"Because you are going home." he announced plainly

"Home." I said "I am home, or do you really hate me that much you're sending me back to Maplecrest?"
"I am not sending you to Maplecrest." He replied. "Thor is going to take you home, to Asgard."
"Asgard?" I asked "My home is here, not Asgard."
"Listen Ashlin. You have never quite fitted in. And when Thor told me that you are a banished Asgardian. Well I thought, you could do something to prove that you are good."
"Good." I asked "What have I ever done for the greater good?"
"Well you saved the world." he replied. "And don't say you just forgot that. We just were discussing it."
"Right." I mumbled.
"I'll leave you to it." Fury muttered as he walked out of the room.

✩★✩

I sat in the back of the car as Nat and Clint took the front. The drive a quiet. No one spoke. I could tell Nat wasn't partially happy with me leaving. We made it to the edge of the park where I was to leave. Thor stood there with Loki. Loki had his hands cuffed and a muffler covering his mouth. I hopped out of the car and walked towards them. Loki gave me a look that I couldn't read. Nat and Clint followed me. Tony and Bruce were already there. Steve pulled up on a motorbike. Thor walked towards the park, leading Loki next to him. I followed close behind. Selvig held out a glass tube as Bruce used tongs to lift the Tesseract into it. Thor gave Selvig a pat on the shoulder.

Nat gave me a hug. Clint then clapped me on the shoulder.
"Remember, keep your head low and stay alive." Steve smiled as he hugged me.
"You're not my trainer anymore." I remarked.
"But you still have a lot to learn." Steve smiled, I nodded my good bye. Nat whispered something in Clint's ear as she saw Loki glance at us. Thor then held out one end of the tube to Loki. Loki gripped the handle and Thor nodded to me. I slid my hand above Loki's as Thor twisted his handle. The world disappear in a flash of blue.

I was going home.