Chapter 13; Trapped

Revised April 2015

I ran ahead of Thor. Taking the short cuts only known to few. Running into the room where the two identical glass cells were, I stopped dead. The cell where Loki had been held was empty. I slowly approached the open door and peered in.

Someone shoved me from behind and I stumbled forward. Landing on my hands I heard the door of the cell slide shut behind me. Spinning around my gaze found Loki smirking down at me.
"Hello Ashlin." he announced breaking the silence.

"What are you doing Loki." I hissed looking at the door horrified.
"Stopping you." he replied calmly. I could hear Thor rampaging his way down a corridor to the door on the other side of the cell bat where an identical cell sat. The door was open and a illisosion of Loki stood there waiting.
"No!" shouted in warning but Thor had already run forward. His eyes met mine as the door to his cell slid shut as well.
"Are you ever not going to fall for that?" The real Loki questioned from the other side of the glass. Thor smashed the glass with his hammer causing the whole cell to shake.

"The humans think us imortal." Loki stated as he took a step towards the control panel. "Shall we test that?" he suggested. Coulson appeared holding a large gun and he pointed it at Loki.
"Move away please." Coulson ordered. Loki took a slow step back. "Like this?" asked Coulson "We started working on the prototype after you sent the deystroyer." he explained. "Even I don't know what it does. Want to find out?"
Out of nowhere another version of Loki appeared. Stabbing Coulson in the back.
"No!" I shouted slamming my body against the glass as an attempt to save him. Coulson collapsed to the ground. Tears stung my eyes. Loki walked up to the controls and lifted the flap. If he dropped my cell, I would have no way out. He opened the turbine under both cells, pressing the button, Thor's cell dropped. But mine remained.

"Let me out!" I hissed.
"I guess this is good bye Ashlin." he smiled sadly.
"You are going to lose." Stated the half dead Coulson as Loki started to walk out.
"Am I?" Loki smirked as he turned back to face him.
"It's in your nature." replied Coulson simply.
"Your heros are scattered, your floating fortess falls from the sky. Where is my disadvantage?" Loki sneered.
"You lack conviction." replied Coulson.
"I don't think I-" but a blasting of a gun interupted Loki. It hit him full in the chest sending him flying through a wall.

"So that's what it does." Coulson muttered. I felt the helicarrier start to fly again as Fury walked into the bay. He squatted down next to Coulson.
"Sorry boss." Coulson mumbled.
"Just stay awake." Fury instructed. "Eyes on me."
"I'm sorry sir." Coulson mumbled again.
"For what?" asked Fury
"I was wrong about Ashlin. She is good." He proclaimed with his final breath. Fury stood up and let the Medics take Coulson away. He walked up to the controls and opened my cell.

"I am so sorry sir." I stammered. "I couldn't-"
"You did well Ashlin." Fury explained. "Please remember that you are only eighteen, not thiry five."
"Yes sir." I nodded as we walked out of the room and headed for the bridge.
"Agent Coulson is down." Fury announced into his ear piece.
"A medical team is on it's way to your location." replied a voice.
"They're here." replied Fury. "They called it."

✩★✩

Tony, Steve and I sat around a table in the bridge. Non of us talked.
"These where in Phil Coulson's jacket." Fury announced as he slid some cards across the table to Steve. "I guess he never did get you to sign them."
"We are dead in air right now. Communications. The cube. Banner. Thor. I've got nothing for you." Fury sighed. "Lost my one good eye. Never had it coming.

Yes. We were going to build weapons with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though. Cause I was playing something ever risker.
There was an idea. Stark knows this. Called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people. See if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we neded them to. To fight the battles we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heros." finished Fury. Tony stood up and walked away. "Well it is an old fashioned idea." Fury sighed.

✩★✩

I wondered the hallways for a good hour until I made it back to the bridge where I sat on the table staring at my hands.
"We know where he is." Tony announced as he jogged in.
"Where?" Maria asked in surprise.
"Stark Tower." replied Tony.

✩★✩

I reached up and pulled my gear from the wall.

It was time.

✩★✩

We walked into the jet bat. Steve at the front, Nat, Clint and I following. Steve walked on to a jet as the pilot glanced up at us.
"Hey, you guys aren't authrised to be in here." He stated.
"Son, just don't." Steve warned. Clint slipped into the pilot seat.

"I'll go ahead with Stark." I announced as we shot into the clouds.
"You sure?" Nat questioned.
"Someone has got to baby-sit him." I remarked.
"Heard that." Tony muttered into the coms.
"Take care." Nat nodded in approval be I flew out.

✩★✩

"Please tell me you are going to appeal to my humanity." Loki muttered as Tony walked into Stark Tower. I followed closely behind before taking a seat at one of the mini bar stools.
"Ah, actually I'm planing to threaten you." Tony replied smugly .
"You should have left your armor on for that." Loki sneered.
"Yeah." Tony muttered as he walked across to the mini bar. "Seen a bit of milage, and you've got the glow stick of destiny. Would you like a drink?"
"Stalling me won't change any thing." Smirked Loki.
"No, no, no. I'm threatening." replied Tony "No drink, you sure. I'm having one." He grabbed a glass.
"The Chitauri are coming." Loki announced. "Nothing will change that. What am I to fear?"
"The Avengers." Tony stated "That's what we call our selves. It is sort of like a team. Earth's Mightest Heros type of thing."
"But two of you aren't of earth." Loki shot back, glancing at me.
"Well they are fighting with Earth's heros." Replied Tony shrugging.
"Yes, I've met them." Loki proclaimed.
"Yeah." grinned Tony "Lets do a head count here.

-Your brother, the demigod.
-Ashlin, the unknown.
-The super soldier, the living legend, who kind of lives up to the legend.
-A man with breath taking anger mangment issues.
-A couple of master assassins.

And you. Big fella. You've manged to piss off ever single one of them."
"That was the plan." replied Loki.
"Not a great plan." replied Tony "When they come, and they will, they will come for you." Tony announced.
"I have an army." replied Loki.
"We have a hulk."
"Oh, I thought the beast had wondered off." Sneered Loki.
"Yeah, your missing the point. There is no throne. There is no version of this where you come out on top." Tony explained. "And maybe your army comes, and maybe it is to much for us. But it is all on you. Because if we can't protect the earth, then you can be dam well sure we will avenge it."
"How will your friends have time for me when they are busy fighting you?" Loki hissed pressed the tip of his scepter to Tony's Arc Reactor. Nothing happened. He tried again. Nothing.

"This usually works." Loki muttered confused.
"Well perofance issues. Not uncommon. 1 out of 5-" Loki grabbed him and thew him to the floor
"JARVIS any time now!" Tony shouted as he threw through the window. Tony winked at me before he fell out of sight. I didn't move from where I sat, understanding Tony's message. A red missile shot out from the wall, throwing Loki off balance. It shot after Tony. He then appeared in the window. Fully armored up.
"And there is one other person you pissed off. His name is Phil." Stated Tony, shooting Loki.