His Raven

*Mark*

I watched as the men dragged the battered and bloodied female body out of the room, leaving a trail of sticky and viscid blood on the floor. 

"Poor little thing. She could've had a happy ending with me, but she chose otherwise." 

I glanced at the man seated beside me. He had a small scar across his left cheek which isn't very noticeable unless you look close enough. 

This was the man who had given me a new beginning when I was on the brink of ending it. Flashbacks of that day automatically replayed itself in my head as I closed my eyes.

--Flashback--

"Hey boy, what's your name?" 

I slowly looked up at the man standing in front of me, squinting my eyes. He had a very gruff exterior and his posture made him look aggressive. 

"Mark." I whispered my name. 

He crouched down and lifted my chin. He turned my head from left then to the right, examining me. 

"Simple enough."

He then stood up and ordered his men to take me in and before I knew it, I was being lifted up by one of his big burly men and thrown against his shoulder. 

I was being set down once we entered this huge warehouse area. I looked up in fear as the man strode towards me. 

"From now on, you shall be my right-hand man. You will do as I say and not question anything. And in return, I will raise you as my own and ensure that you wont have to scavenge your meals through the sewers again. Understood ?" 

I nodded my head and stood as still as I could. Questions flooded through my mind and the only question that I was dying to ask him was: Why?

--End of Flashback--

I opened my eyes and looked at the man beside me again. Ravi, was his name. 

And I owed this man my loyalty and my life. If he hadn't taken me in that day, I probably wouldn't be standing here with my two legs. I probably would've been taken away by those ruthless human traffickers and god knows what they would have done to me. 

Back then, I was your typical poor boy. I suffered under the hands of poverty and my parents were down with cancerous illnesses and was dying. There was nothing I could do to help the situation for I was only 5 years old. I scrapped and survived on the waste being thrown onto the street. When I was lucky enough, pitiful eyes belonging to the average household would give me some rice. On other days, I'd had lunch from the sewers and nothing but the cold air for dinner.

But one day , I found myself running away from my almost-deceased parents and hiding under a corner of the bridge. My mother had told me to run and never go back. Turns out I had to run and hide myself so that those damned human traffickers wont find me. My face and body were covered in black grime and I was shivering in my torn and sheer cloths. 

It was then where Ravi stumbled across me. 

And thats how I ended up here now. The right-hand man of one of the most influential underground leaders in the secret society.