Prologue

A shady clearing in the middle of the dense forest of oak, birch and sycamore was the only thing that the rebellious clouds allowed the moon that they were diligently shielding to gaze upon.

Whether this was the strange cats who lived in this prosperous territory's mysterious abilities or simply a coincidence that caused the moon to shine on just that clearing, the black cat perched on the branches of a large sycamore- the largest in the forest, in fact- didn't know, but it did know one thing:

The territory that the starry ancestors watched over would soon belong to a much, much darker force, and there was nothing they could do except sit back and watch.

As she gazed upon the clearing, voices began to appear, and though slightly audible, they were greatly muffled by the thick layers of leaves and trees.

After a while, however, a blue-grey she-cat emerged, her fur silver in the pale light.

Flanked by a pretty silver-grey she-cat with mesmerising blue eyes and a fiery ginger tom, she sat in the clearing, as if waiting for something.

For a while, the black she-cat perched in the trees watched as the three cats sat in an arc in silence, but she grew mildly bored after a while. Are they actually coming tonight, or did I get the wrong night?

After deciding that the latter was the correct answer, the she-cat bunched up her haunches, preparing to leap down from the spot she'd spent weeks trying to find just so she could witness this precise moment.

However, a soft scuffling noise stopped the green-eyed she-cat from departing back to her own desolate territory.

She turned her head just in time to see three other cats join the first three in the clearing: a huge light tabby tom with a broken jaw, a black and white tom with an unusually long tail and a white tom with gigantic black paws.

Just a few more cats, the black she-cat thought with a sudden thrill of excitement. If she overheard the Prophecy, finally she would gain the means to have control over the Clans.

The cat's breath sped up, her heart beating erratically. Finally, she would witness what she'd come to hear.

"Will those medicine cats hurry up? We all know Yellowfang likes to take her time preparing, but WindClan is never late."

The black and white tom's bored meow echoed around the forest, his long tail flicking impatiently.

"Preparation is good, Tallstar," murmured one of the cats; the bright ginger tom who sat next to the blue she-cat had risen to his paws, watching Tallstar with hooded eyes. "The medicine cats obviously foresaw that this meeting would be important- and take a while- so they prepared themselves."

Then the flame-coloured tom turned to the rest of the Clan cats.

"However, we have a crisis on our paws."

A murmur of shock rippled through the cats. The blue she-cat was the only one to stay still, grim-faced and quiet.

"A medicine cat from each Clan has foreseen a dark omen for all of the Clans, inescapable and treacherous."

"It is a darkness that only two Clans share," grumbled the tom with the broken jaw. "Why must we all be here?"

The fire-pelted tom spoke again, this time with an edge to his voice. "The Clans have only survived this long because of the unity that they have preserved. If there is a threat, they must stand together, or all four Clans will be destroyed."