Chapter 27

When Moonpaw stirred from the slumber she had been locked into, she looked around to see that Heathermist was right; most of the medicine cats were indeed waking up. Not wanting to disturb anyone or get in the way, she turned around, eyes turning to the sky in wonder. I can't believe that I was in StarClan! And I met Heathermist- and Bluestar! As quickly as her thoughts turned to the StarClan cats, they transformed into more negative ones; the Dark Forest. Or, rather, its inhabitants.

"Moonpaw?" The voice made her jump. She turned around, unsurprised to find Silverleaf perched beside a large rock, blinking at her. "How was it?"

Well, let's see. I was falling through some supposedly deadly darkness, fell into the Dark Forest, met the leader of the Dark Forest, walked across StarClan with one of my heroes, spoke to Heathermist... You know, I have some conflicting emotions. Instead of saying what she had just thought, she replied with, "It was... Amazing." It had been, after all. In StarClan, at least.

Immediately Silverleaf's gaze warmed. "I'm glad that you enjoyed it," she purred. However, her eyes held something deeper. Like Heathermist, there seemed to be a tinge of a more negative emotion there, only hers was worry rather than sadness. What was she told in StarClan? She wondered, eyes drifting away from her mentor.

Whitepool was the only one still sleeping. Silverleaf padded over and sat beside her, gazing down in a surprisingly affectionate manner. It was usually Whitepool who took care of her aunt, calming her down and stopping her from overworking herself- or overworking Moonpaw, as was often the case. However, here it was clear by looking at the scene before her that the love went both ways.

After another minute, Whitepool finally began to stir. Moonpaw watched silently as Silverleaf gently pressed her nose to her former apprentice's cheek in such a way of greeting. "Come on, slowshrew. You're the last one awake."

With one last look, Moonpaw turned to the rest of the cats, who were talking amongst themselves, with some nervousness. However, curiosity also sparked her mind. I wonder what they saw? She couldn't help but ask herself. She longed to ask, but something other than mere shyness stopped her.

She tensed slightly when Beechbark padded over, a warm gleam in his eyes. "So, how was it?"

Instantly she was reminded of the Dark Forest- then realised that he didn't know. For some reason, she didn't want to share her experience there. Instead she thought of StarClan, and smiled. "It was beautiful," she murmured. Her gaze momentarily darted to the Moonpool longingly, and she dared to wish that she was back there, amongst the vibrant trees, lush grass and sweet-smelling air.

"Come, Ashenpaw." Lostleg's meow jolted Moonpaw abruptly from a trance-like state. "There is something that Eveningstar must know."

"Don't you mean Quailfeather?" Ashenpaw replied, then winced. It had clearly not meant to come out.

"No, I mean Eveningstar. While she isn't at her strongest, she is still the Clan leader." With a sharp look aimed at his apprentice, he flicked his tail abruptly for her to follow, then led the way.

Ashenpaw waved her tail in farewell to the other medicine cats, then followed her mentor, trotting hastily along beside him.

Curiosity climbed Moonpaw like ivy on a tree. What made Ashenpaw speak of Quailfeather like she had? Was the deputy taking over Eveningstar's leader duties? Was the leader dying? From Palepaw's enthusiastic report of the gathering, she understood that RiverClan's once-pretty leader was scraggly and frail, the picture of illness.

"We'd better get going too, Moonpaw." Once again, a voice made her jump. This time, it was Silverleaf, Whitepool by her side. The white she-cat looked incredibly disturbed, her eyes haunted. Is she okay? What did she see?

She never got the chance to ask the question as her mentor led the two away from the Moonpool.

"Goodbye, Moonpaw!" Beechbark called, waving his tail at her. She waved hers back, before padding after her the two. Phew. One cat doesn't think you're crazy.

As soon as she had arrived at Silverleaf's side, her mentor turned to her. "How was it?"

Moonpaw hesitated. Should she tell her? She could trust her, of course, but was she allowed to tell others?

After coming to the conclusion that she hadn't been told not to and therefore could share her experience, she explained, in as much detail as a short summary would allow, her experience, both in the Dark Forest and in StarClan.

Once she had finished, it was silent. Then, after swallowing, Silverleaf replied. "That prophecy..." Then she laughed, not without some bitterness. "Oh, Heathermist..."

At Moonpaw's confused look, she explained. "There is more to the prophecy. Your dear aunt just couldn't find it in her to tell you the rest of it."

"Why?" Moonpaw found herself asking, confusion getting the better of her. Is it something that she thinks will scare me? Am I not allowed to know? "Surely it's for a good reason?"

"I'll tell it to you. You can decide for yourself whether you want to hear it." The older she-cat ran her eyes across the light pelt of Whitepool, frowning suddenly. "But now is not the time. I'm sure that Heathermist refrained some information for a reason. You'll find out sooner or later."

A nagging frustration grasped at Moonpaw. Couldn't she just know now? It can't have been that bad. But she did not protest aloud; tiredness perched on her shoulder, looming over her like some great bird in the dark sky. At least I will find out eventually, she reminded herself, though the thought barely processed.

The rest of the journey slid into silence, and Moonpaw hardly remembered her father greeting her hesitantly as she entered camp, Silverleaf warding him off, nor the other medicine cats' quiet conversation as she padded into the apprentices' den and curled into her nest, falling quickly into a dark slumber.

Until then, I can wait.