Chapter 31

As they moved towards the entrance of the den, the ThunderClan cats could hear the commotion from inside more clearly. Palepaw could even see into the den from where she waited, though all she could see was the small white body and brown tail of... Eaglepaw?

By the sounds of it, Flashstar was scolding him harshly. "I made you an apprentice! Why must you show yourself to be so ungrateful? The other apprentices can bring back prey. Are you not strong enough? Do we need to send you back to the nursery?" Though the small apprentice's eyes had been squeezed shut the entire time Palepaw had been watching, ears flattened and tail tucked between his legs, the last question made him quiver like a leaf.

"You can't," he squeaked, his voice but a hoarse whisper. His mother is dead, Palepaw remembered, swallowing as she watched the exchange. How could Flashstar be so cruel to him?

Flashstar misinterpreted Eaglepaw's fear for contradiction, his tail lashing, but then paused. "You have a point. Your foolish mother isn't here, obviously, and your father... Well, what's Dustmuzzle going to do? He's blind now. The coward deserved it, though."

The way he says it makes it seem like he's the one responsible for whatever happened to this "Dustmuzzle". Palepaw looked at her mentor, suddenly seeking a reassuring pelt to press into - a feeling she didn't think she'd ever felt before. Of course, she'd never been faced with having to suffer the wrath of the leader of a Clan of cats that hated her. Still, she'd never been the type to seek another's comfort, yet now her mind was plagued with memories of the nursery, her father's inviting fur and her mother's soothing grooming. Would her mentor mind?

She'd been sadly mistaken. Sorrelspots was staring wide-eyed at her paws, as if she could no longer hear her surroundings- or didn't want to. Palepaw didn't want to disturb her, so instead stayed where she was.

Wolfwhisker was watching Sorrelspots, gaze filled with concern for the older warrior. Almost a year younger than Sorrelspots, it seemed strange that he was the calmest one in the group. ShadowClan must have done something terrible to Sorrelspots, she thought, for such a normally cheerful cat to be so troubled by their presence.

As much as Palepaw wanted to find out about whatever was going on with her mentor or the cruel conversation inside the den, she had no chance as Eaglepaw scampered past, his fur bristling as if he were pretending to be a badger, reeking of fear-scent. It was then, at that moment, that Flashstar noticed the group of cats.

"Oh," was all he said at first. Then, "You had better come in."

Wolfwhisker once again took the lead, gently flicking his tail against Sorrelspots' side as he passed her, awakening her from her trance-like state. She turned to Palepaw, motioning for her to go in first.

Not wanting to annoy the ShadowClan leader, she hurried in quickly, standing next to Wolfwhisker as he stood in front of the white tom, surprisingly still as the leader's eyes seemed to appraise him.

"So, ThunderClan sends it's youngest cats to a Clan that it doesn't get along well with, does it? Wise, aren't you," he commented sarcastically. He seemed strangely calm compared to Ratstone's show of disgust, though it chilled her to the bone.

"If you'd allow us to explain," Wolfwhisker replied just as calmly, "you would understand that we didn't expect this kind of treatment. We merely saw a cat in need," he flicked his tail towards Tansyfrost, who had just emerged into the den and now sat beside Sorrelspots, "and tried to help."

"We've brought you catmint for your Clan," added Sorrelspots shakily. Isn't she supposed to be older than Wolfwhisker? What happened to that bouncy, cheerful mentor I know?