Chapter 6

"Noo! I can't take it, Palestar! Stop it!"

"Never!"

"Then I'll just have to attack ThunderClan!"

Palekit gasped dramatically. "You wouldn't!" She yowled, and leapt on top of a crouched Sunflame.

Her father seemed prepared, however, and rolled her off of his back with a paw almost immediately. "ShadowClan, attack!"

And he jumped on Palekit.

Obviously, he made sure that it didn't hurt her, but even if it had been meant to, it wouldn't have even touched her because she rolled out of the way, creeping round a "surprised" Sunflame, then leapt onto his back. "You'll never beat ThunderClan, weak Sunstar!" She boasted playfully.

She was surprised when Sunflame went still, but nonetheless excited. "Ha! I win!"

Then he flung himself up, sending the small she-kit skidding away in the dust- on her paws, thankfully. "Think again, Palestar."

"Why, when I get my paws on you, you slimy, frog-eating, ShadowClan-"

"I think that's quite enough fighting, Palestar and Sunstar." Amberblaze padded over to where the two were scuffling in the camp, sitting down beside them. Moonkit padded next to her, her fur shining.

It was sun-high, and most of the warriors were returning from their patrols. Sunflame had been playing with his golden kit since sunrise, when she'd practically attacked him in his nest.

"Let's go!" She had yowled in his ear, almost waking up the rest of the den. Three-moon old kits stirred beside Pebblesplash, who raised her head quietly and settled them again.

She had repeated it quieter, though her father simply groaned and turned away.

Then, she had gotten the best idea yet; she'd jump on him until he got up.

It didn't end well.

As soon as Amberblaze caught sight of Palekit's pelt, dusty and rustled and riddled with dirt from her mock battle, she let out a gasp of horror. "Sunflame! How could you let her pelt get like that on a day like this?"

A day like what? Palekit couldn't help but wonder, and one glance at her sister showed that she didn't know either.

Amberblaze was about to set to work on grooming her daughter when an ear-splitting yowl made Palekit's fur bristle. The two were instantly nudged forward by their parents, over to the crowd of now-assembling cats.

Moonkit hissed under her breath to her sister, "We're not allowed to Clan gatherings; We're kits. Have they forgotten that?"

Palekit just shrugged; who was she to say what her parents did?

They turned around to their parents in unison, and Palekit asked, "Uh... why are we here? We're supposed to stay in the nursery for Clan meetings, since we can't catch our own prey." Though I bet we could if we were allowed to try...

Sunflame just smiled at his confused kit, gently nudging her forward. "You'll soon see," he murmured. Then he and Amberblaze shared an ecstatic gaze. What are they so happy about?

As Palekit sat wondering that, Bumblestar began his meeting. "I have two things to do now. First of all, Goldenpaw? Spottedpaw?"

He beckoned the two apprentices forward with a flick of his tail, then their mentors. "Shrewfoot? Rowanfur? Do your apprentices deserve what they are about to recieve?"