Chapter 4

"Oof!"

Whitepool's voice was muffled as Moonkit hit her chest.

"Careful!" The she-cat said, gently nudging the kit away. She was about to continue walking, but paused. "What are you doing out here? You should be with your mother, Moonkit."

Moonkit sighed. "Well, I..." She trailed off, trying to find a good excuse, but found none; why was she out here? "I don't know." She admitted earnestly. "I just can't sleep."

Whitepool nodded. "Neither can I, and rather than waste time trying to get back to sleep, I thought I'd check on Pebblesplash's kits."

The white she-cat sat down, patting the cool earth beside her for Moonkit to join her. She joined the medicine cat, and soon enough they were huddling to share each other's warmth. Though it was late green-leaf, it was still rather cold in the evening, and Moonkit was in no mood to freeze to death.

"Why can't you sleep?" Moonkit asked the medicine cat, inquisition probing her to ask.

However, Whitepool's eyes quickly became guarded with light suspicion. "Medicine cat business." She mewed. "Sorry."

Moonkit's eyes narrowed. "That means prophecies and StarClan stuff, doesn't it?" She asked, thinking deeply. I remember Sunflame telling Palekit and I about the role of a medicine cat, and the main roles were to relay prophecies from StarClan to the leader and Clan.

Whitepool seemed impressed. "Yes, Moonkit, it does mean that."

The small kit edged forward. "What kind of StarClan stuff is it?"

Whitepool's paws fidgeted. "I can't really tell you..." She's nervous; she's fidgeting. It must be special, if a medicine cat is nervous about it.

Moonkit blinked at her, eyes wide and innocent. "I'll probably forget about it in the morning. Besides, I want to know." She paused, then added, "I won't leave you until you tell me." Whitepool narrowed her eyes. Oh no... Did I go too far?

The white medicine cat opened her mouth, about to respond, when a silver and white she-cat emerged from the medicine den. "Whitepool! What are you doing out so late? And with- wait, is that Moonkit?"

Whitepool's ears flattened. She looked as guilty as an apprentice who'd stolen extra prey. "Yes..." She mewed, cast a glance towards Moonkit, then replied, "What of it?"

Silverleaf sighed, shaking her head. "Whitepool..."

The white cat shook her head as well, imitating her mentor. "Silverleaf... You always assume that I'm doing something wrong, or against you." What? Is talking to me against Silverleaf's orders? What does that cat have against me? "Can't I just enjoy a pleasant conversation with a friend?"

The pretty medicine cat wouldn't hear of it. "Don't play mouse-brained with me, young she-cat." She then turned to Moonkit. "What were you talking about?"

She bounced up and down eagerly, excited. "Whitepool was about to tell me a prophecy!" She mewed joyfully. If Silverleaf knows this, she'll approve it- I know it!

Whitepool's gaze turned defiant. "I was not!" She mewed to Moonkit.

"Was too!"

"Was not!"

"Was too!"

"Was n-"

"Both of you, stop acting like grumpy badgers and stop arguing!" Silverleaf's gaze burned into Whitepool's with fury, causing the younger medicine cat to drop her gaze quietly, murmuring, "Sorry..."

She then turned her scorching blue gaze to Moonkit, who was pawing the ground. "And you, young kit, should be in your nest, not bothering my fellow medicine cat while she- Whitepool, what were you doing?"

Her sudden confrontation caused the white she-cat to jump. She scuffed her one grey paw, before meowing, "I was... Checking on Pebblesplash."

"And why were you doing that?"

Whitepool cast a nervous glance to Moonkit. "Maybe it's best you go back to your nest."

She nudged the small kit back into her den.

Moonkit wasn't tired, however. She sat at the entrance of the den, hidden by a mass of brambles, ears pricked as she listened to the medicine cats.

"It's about..."

But Moonkit didn't hear the rest of the sentence. The white she-kit's eyes narrowed. What was it about?

She leaned forward eagerly, but a bit too far; she toppled over onto her head, letting out an audible thud.

"Maybe it's better to talk somewhere where ears and eyes can't be spies," Silverleaf murmured, and with a hum of agreement from Whitepool, two sets of pawsteps padded away.

Moonkit did return to her nest, but she didn't sleep well; her mind, no matter how much she tried to think of nice things, kept recalling the strangely worried tone that Whitepool had been using with Silverleaf. It was as if she had just been told something really important.

With a shaky sigh, Moonkit closed her eyes, ears pressed against her sister's chest so she could hear her breathing.

After a short while, the relaxing sound lulled Moonkit into a gentle sleep.