Chapter 35

A few cries broke out simultaneously at the sight; Willowpetal, who had been padding around snapping at cats (likely her way of keeping calm, Palepaw thought with faint annoyance), Spottedrose, whose gaze had been glued to the entrance as she anxiously awaited the return of her mate, and Aspenfall, who had been sat with Spottedrose as she waited for her two brothers to return.

Instantly, Wolfwhisker went to his littermate's side, burying his nose into her silver fur. Beside them, Spottedrose dashed over to Thistleheart's body, wordlessly gaping at it, the cry that had split the air stuck in her throat.

Willowpetal also moved to her son's side, though she showed no emotion other than tenderness as she gently pressed her nose to his cheek. Through all the commotion in Palepaw's brain, she still found it in her to be surprised at Willowpetal's show of affection; not once had she seen the warrior share tongues, nor initiate any kind of physical contact for that matter, with any cat.

Swanfeather stared dully at his mate and son, a fox-length away. Instantly, Palepaw knew why he was keeping his distance. He blames himself for Thistleheart's death. A great sympathy pooled in her heart for the senior warrior. She silently cheered on Sunflame as her father padded to the tom's side, nudging him gently and murmuring something to him. Swanfeather nodded silently, and the two toms headed out of the camp once more. Palepaw just caught the words "burial" and "grave" from Sunflame as the two toms passed Bumblestar, who nodded silently.

As if triggered by the movement, Willowpetal abruptly stood straight and stalked into the warriors' den, ignoring the surprised stares of other cats as she left her dead son's body in the middle of the clearing without a trace of emotion.

For a time, the only noise filling the clearing was the racking sobs of Spottedrose, having laid down beside her mate, head buried in his neck fur.

A moment later, Whitepool padded over, carrying a single stem of a small-leafed herb. She murmured some soft words to the young queen, which were instantly rejected, sharp blue eyes quickly averting back to her mate. However, the medicine cat gestured to Spottedrose's swollen stomach with her tail, speaking in the same hushed tone once more, and when she'd finished, the white and golden she-cat grasped the stalk in her teeth and ate it, before turning back to the body before her. The noise gradually began to subside until she lay as still as the dead warrior beside her.

Shrewfoot, after having his wounds checked and dressed, padded over to Bumblestar, who sat near Thistleheart's body, eyes glassy and unreadable. "We found him in the camp. The cats we'd fought were having their wounds treated, and they hadn't set a guard. We were spotted on the way out by an apprentice but she let us go."

A short burst of excitement overrode the disgust in Palepaw's mind. That's Echopaw! No doubt about it! The thought of her friend helping ThunderClan worried her, but warmed her at the same time.

The leader simply nodded, and Palepaw wasn't even sure if he'd heard. Her excitement was gone without a trace as she watched Shrewfoot dip his head respectfully, then make his way to the warriors' den, brushing gently against Wolfwhisker as he passed him, as if he were trying to comfort the grieving young tom with the accidental touch.

"Where is Cherryblossom?" Bumblestar's calm voice split through the newfound silence, making Palepaw jump. She turned to the leader to see that he was talking to Ashcloud, who looked as shaken up as the rest of his Clanmates.

The grey tom, whose blue eyes had been fixed on his dead Clanmate with a fierce intensity, turned to his leader. "Still asleep," he replied, his voice alarmingly quiet. He's a calm cat, but he at least makes his voice heard normally. Usually, he would have spoken to Bumblestar like it was an honour to be addressed by the Clan leader.

"Fetch her. I hate to bring this upon her, but she is better off knowing sooner that he is..." Bumblestar trailed off awkwardly, and Ashcloud nodded silently, looking a bit awkward himself as he turned away and headed to the warriors' den.

The thought of seeing another heartbroken cat made Palepaw want to wail herself. Without a word, she shuffled back into the den, not even bothering to step on Thistlepaw again as she found her way to her nest.

She settled herself down gently, though just as she did so, another wail sliced through the ominous air around the camp, filled with more excruciation than the others, if that were even possible.

Flattening her ears against Cherryblossom's wailing, she found sleep shockingly quick to claim her, and she welcomed it, eager to have the dull ache pushing throughout her entire body quenched.

Fueled by the devastating events of that night, Palepaw was plagued by nightmares.

~

What is your favourite scene or event so far in the book? (You may include Rising Sun in this, as well.)