Chapter 14

Palepaw stared at her sister in open-mouthed shock.

Moonpaw had just stood there, then charged up to an invisible badger, slammed her forepaws down...

Then drew back, horror written on each of her features.

What could have possibly made her so scared? She thought, confusion lighting up her eyes.

She didn't get to find out, however, since her sister seemed to be deliberately ignoring her, padding ahead so she was walking next to her mentor. Palepaw could still see her shaking.

"Hey, Palepaw? You did great, by the way."

It was Sorrelspots, her voice filled with kindness, though as Palepaw turned her head to thank her she could see that her mentor was just as confused as she was.

The group kept a reasonable pace, though Ashcloud seemed to be stressing slightly, unusual for him. At one point, Palepaw heard him mutter quietly, "Would you hurry up already?"

When they reached camp, Ashcloud padded straight to Bumblestar's den, while Moonpaw scampered off to where Amberblaze and Sunflame were sharing tongues, urgently telling them something that Palepaw couldn't hear.

Instead, she just stared awkwardly around, seeing if she could spot her friends, but to no avail. They must already be in their nests.

"May all cats gather around the Highledge to hear my words!"

Palepaw jumped at the yowl; she thought he had been talking to Ashcloud. Her wandering gaze eventually found the tom, sitting with Honeywhisker but staring at Moonpaw. Palepaw thought she detected sadness in his eyes.

She turned around and padded over to where Sorrelspots was sitting, settling beside her. She gave her apprentice a friendly nudge, which Palepaw kindly returned, before turning her attention to Bumblestar.

"As you know, the full-moon is tonight."

Palepaw turned her head to see many cats staring expectantly at their leader,
A few giving happy yowls. She narrowed her eyes in confusion, wracking her brains. What's so special about that?

"That means that I have to choose some cats to go to the gathering." Oh, of course! Palepaw remembered her father's tales of the gathering every full-moon, where the Clans would gather to discuss their news of that past moon.

Her heart beat nervously as she felt the gaze of the leader briefly fall upon her as he scanned the crowd of cats. Where's Moonpaw? She wondered, glancing around her to find her sister, but couldn't spot her.

Confused, she shrugged it off. Moonpaw would never miss an opportunity like this though, she thought worriedly.

No, she's probably just tired. She scolded herself for thinking otherwise.

But the other half of her couldn't help but worry. Tired from what, though? She didn't do much training.

She didn't have time to answer her own thoughts, however, as Bumblestar began to list names.

"Myself, of course, and Shrewfoot, Silverleaf and Whitepool, Kestreltail, Sorrelspots, Spottedrose, Goldenlight, Rowanfur, Tawnywing, Raventail, Amberblaze, Palepaw and Moonp..." The leader trailed off, looking for the white she-cat. Unable to find her, he shrugged. "Redfeather and Gingerheart."

Palepaw felt faint. "I'm going to the gathering?"