Chapter 2

"Bumblestar? Hello?"

Moonkit's nose twitched slightly as her sister's tail brushed against it. Sunflame said he would be in here, so where is he?

Palekit had entered into the den, calling out into it. It seemed empty at a first glance, but after a few seconds, a pale ginger tom emerged from the darkness. His amber eyes gleamed with laughter.

"Hello, Palekit," he purred to the kit, who had jumped back in surprise as he seemed to melt from the shadows.

Moonkit, however, stepped forward, gazing up at him curiously. "Are you really the leader of ThunderClan?" She asked. That would mean he is in charge of everything! He's more powerful than even the medicine cats. An unspoken respect rose in Moonkit.

With a hearty chuckle, he bent down. "I'm also Sunflame's father's brother," he whispered in her ear. Moonkit spied a quiet Palekit sneaking into Bumblestar's den, glancing around curiously, over his shoulder.

He's related to Sunflame... So he's my kin! With a thrill of happiness, she replied, "That makes you related to us as well!"

She glanced back at Sunflame for confirmation, and he nodded. "You're so like your mother," her father murmured, his tail gently resting against her back for a moment.

Palekit charged back past Moonkit suddenly, eyes wide with shock. "There are strange noises coming from there!" She shrieked.

Not in the mood for yet another game of chase around camp, the white she-kit entered the den, eyes narrowed. It's just a leaf blowing around. "Who's there?" She asked hesitantly, tail quivering as a tall shadow appeared.

Sunflame sat outside, chatting with Bumblestar, seemingly oblivious to the new figure. Palekit had, unsurprisingly, ran off somewhere.

However, it was followed by a not very menacing-looking she-cat, with a sleek cream-fawn pelt, and amber eyes that just shone with happiness.

Moonkit glanced around, confused and worried. "You just... Did you just..." She kept staring back and forth, from where the stone wall that she had walked from was to where she was standing, watching the kit with bemused eyes.

"Of course I did. I'm a special cat, Moonkit. I can do that."

Her mouth fell agape. "Special? How?"

The she-cat laughed, a soft, melodic sound. "Don't you worry about that. Just be careful of the shadows from now on. Don't be curious around them, for claws and thorns can hide in them sometimes."

The cat walked into the wall again, leaving behind only the faintest scent of heather and rain.

Trying to make sense of the cat, she narrowed her eyes in thought, but only one thought occurred in her head.

What a load of nonsense. I must've imagined it.

But she hadn't imagined the way that the she-cat's pelt rippled slightly as she passed right through the stone wall, or how her eyes shone with love and happiness as she took in her surroundings. She hadn't imagined any of it.

She padded out of the den, eyes still slightly narrowed in thought.

"Moonkit, are you alright?" Bumblestar broke off from the conversation. "You look like you need to use the dirtplace."

In no mood for jokes, Moonkit shook her head and padded over to Sunflame. "I'm tired. Can we go back now?"

With one last goodbye to Bumblestar, Sunflame led his kit to the nursery.

"Where's Palekit?"

"With your mother."

A long silence fell over the two as they walked.

Just outside the den, Sunflame stopped, and told Moonkit to do so as well.

After a brief pause, he mewed hesitantly, "Moonkit, how are you... Feeling? You're not upset, are you?"

She paused, taken aback a bit by the sudden question. "What? I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

A relieved look swamped Sunflame's features, leaving Moonkit even more confused. "Good. That would be worrying."

Moonkit narrowed her eyes, heart beating faster. "Why? Have I done something wrong?"

Another brief pause, and then, "No, Moonkit. It's not you."

He then led her into the den, eyes never meeting hers as he settled down beside his mate and rested his head on top of hers.

As sweet as the sight was, Moonkit did feel slightly annoyed at her father for not looking at her or answering her questions.

The negative mood instantly disappeared as she glanced at him again. He looked exhausted, and the feeling of tiredness radiated from his pelt.

Suddenly feeling as tired as her father looked, she collapsed beside the form of her sleeping sister, eyes drifting shut.

That night, Moonkit dreamed strange dreams of strange cats.