Chapter 26

As Bluestar led the way, Moonpaw found that the trees began to lose their dead look. A few even had leaves. They were predominantly dead leaves, however. She was surprised that they were even still on the trees; they were very old, and looked like they would drop off at the slightest breeze. Perhaps it doesn't work like that here, she wondered. Maybe there are no seasons here, only death.

"Moonpaw, do you know who Nightshade is?" Bluestar asked. Her blue eyes were fixed on the white she-cat with an intenseness that made her want to look away, but she found that she couldn't. With a gulp, she shook her head.

"She is a member of the dark forest- the place we just were. In fact, she isn't just a member. Some would call her the leader. Of most of them, at least."

Fear gripped Moonpaw like a falcon scooping up prey in its eager talons. "That was the dark forest? That was Screech's daughter?"

A brief nod. Moonpaw realised that they were no longer anywhere near Nightshade. It felt as if they had been walking for mere seconds- they had, hadn't they?- but the dead trees were nowhere to be seen. The air no longer reeked of death and evil- in fact, a faint fragrance of grass and sweet-smelling wildflowers teased the breeze. Cats seemed to be appearing from nowhere, racing across meadows that seemed to roll out further than she could see. The foliage was a vibrant and luscious green, with flowers both familiar and unknown dotting the rich earth. Prey-scents were everywhere. Moonpaw found herself unable to stop relaxing as they padded across the hills.

"Moonpaw, watch out."

As soon as she looked up, she found herself walking head-first into a furry chest.

She jumped back, embarrassed. "Sorry!"

"No need to apologize, Moonpaw!" The cat laughed. Her voice was cheerful and warm, and was tinged with affection. She looked up to see warm amber eyes shining back at her, and a very familiar face. It's her! The cat from Bumblestar's den!

The cat was looking fondly down at her. "Yes, Moonpaw, it's me. I'm Heathermist, by the way."

Moonpaw's mouth opened to say something, but as soon as she registered the cat's name, she found herself lost for words.

Indeed, the sleek, fawn she-cat in front of her was Sunflame's sister. However, she reminded Moonpaw not of her father but of Hazelshade- their frames were both delicately thin, yet neither had seemed to gain any impression of muscles, even with all the hard work as a warrior.

"Anyway, are you going to do anything but stand there and gawk at me?" Heathermist's tone was teasing, but her eyes held a gleam of something that took Moonpaw by surprise; sadness. She beckoned with her tail. "I hope you don't mind, Bluestar, but I'd like to talk to my kin. I will deliver her your message, as well."

After the blue-grey she-cat had dipped her head slightly in farewell, Heathermist led Moonpaw away. They moved at a slow pace, Heathermist leading by a head.

"How is my brother?" Heathermist asked suddenly. A trace of nervousness had crept into her voice, and Moonpaw sensed that there was more than idle talk about family on the she-cat's mind. "I trust you aren't causing to much trouble for him?"

Moonpaw smiled. "He's fine," she reassured the she-cat, "and if anyone is causing trouble for him, it's Palepaw."

With a laugh, Heathermist nodded her agreement. "I've seen what kinds of mischief she gets up to."

It was quiet after that, and Moonpaw was growing impatient, a trait that she'd never discovered in herself. "Heathermist, what do you really want to tell me?"

The she-cat jumped. She had stopped walking, and when she turned to Moonpaw she had assumed an embarrassed yet sorrowful smile. Her eyes still held their warmth, but a tinge of something else lurked- was it loneliness? "As soon as I've told you what you have to know, you will wake up. I know I'm being selfish, but I wanted to be with you a while longer. You are the closest I can be to my family."

Moonpaw wanted to comfort her. She didn't know how she would survive being separated from Palepaw, unable to speak to her for years. However, curiosity nagged her. Heathermist had told her that there was something she needed to know. What was it?

Before she could ask, Heathermist nodded. "Alright, I'd better hurry up. You can't stay here forever, and something tells me that the other medicine cats are rousing. Not to mention that I'll have Bluestar breathing down my back if I don't hurry up." With a smile, she turned her head back to where they had been, where a now small blue-grey cat could be seen watching them rather intently in the distance.

Moonpaw edged forward, anticipating what would come next.

"There is a prophecy, Moonpaw. A new one. I think you may remember it from a while ago, but only now will it be of use to you."

After a deep breath, the she-cat continued.
"Two souls of darkness, souls of piercing thorns. Two hearts of pure light, each as bright as stars. One dark cat, a stranger to your world. The claws of beauty will pierce the light, and foolish assumptions will be made."

I've heard this before. She was shocked when that thought emerged, and confused. But where?

There was something else nagging her mind. I could have sworn that there was something else... Then she shook her head. No, that was it.

Moonpaw hadn't realised the breath she'd been holding in until her vision began to fade. She took a deep breath of clean air, but found that it wasn't helping. The darkness remained in her vision, blocking out more of the beautiful landscape. Then it dawned on her. I'm leaving, aren't I?

The last thing she heard was Heathermist's voice- "Say hello to Sunflame for me!"- before the beautiful scenery darkened into black.