Chapter 1: In Another Life

Listen to the sounds of the waves. The water lapping against the sand. The seagulls crying as they sore through the air. The quiet that came with being alone.

This is what Sapphire heard as she sat on the beach, eye closed and hands in her lap. She focused on these sounds, appreciating life's little things.

That is, until a voice broke abruptly through her thoughts as someone spoke her name. She opened her eye to see a worried Steven waving his hand in front of her face.

"Uh, sorry...Pearl made dinner," Steven said nervously. He shuffled his feet a bit as he talked. "I didn't know if you'd interested. I know you don't really eat but, if you just wanted to hang out with us and...and talk then maybe-"

"Maybe in a moment," Sapphire said. Steven sighed. At least he got a response out of her this time.

He trudged defeatedly back to the temple.

"How'd it go?" Pearl and Amethyst had been watching anxiously from the window.

"I don't think she's coming," The boy said as he stared at where Sapphire sat on the beach.

"She just needs more time." Pearl guided Steven over to where dinner (badly-made microwave macaroni and cheese) laid set up on the counter.

Steven mixed the food around in his bowl with his fork dejectedly, "I know it sounds selfish but we already lost Garnet, and now Ruby. Why do we have to lose her too?"

"We all miss Ruby," Amethyst said in an attempt to comfort him. "Those two haven't been apart in, like, forever dude. It really messed Sapphire up."

"It's been two months though!" Steven said through frustration more than anger. "We can't get her back if-"

"If I'm not willing to help."

The three gems jumped in surprise at the new voice. Sapphire stood in the temple, shakily holding her hands together.

"Sapphire..." Pearl's eyes widened in surprise.

"We won't accomplish anything if we don't work together," Sapphire said flatly. "As much as I've been grieving over..." Sapphire stopped herself. "We can't wait here doing nothing while Jasper and Lapis are still out there."

The others smiled at Sapphire's new-found determination.

"Where do we start?"