Chapter 10: Where Am I?

Needless to say, the darkness was confusing. The darkness gave no indication of where Ruby was or why she was there. She could vaguely recall fighting. Yelling. Pain. Then darkness. The darkness was confusing.

And on the other hand, when the mirrors appeared. That was terrifying.

Ruby was surrounded by mirrors on every side, creating a hundred other Rubies standing around her, all reflections.

With a jolt of realization, Ruby remembered exactly what had happened and exactly where she was. She had been in this room once before and she hadn't been alone. Panic flooded through her chest.

"Sapphire!" Ruby called out pleadingly. "Sapphire!"

Ruby tried to run away from the room but with every step she took she never moved from her spot.

"Sapphire!" Ruby felt like she was on the brink of tears. Her voice fell to mere whispers. "Please...somebody...anybody."

"Ruby," A soft, familiar voice broke the tense air. Ruby whipped around and nearly cried out in joy.

"Sapphire..." Ruby smiled. "How..."

"I'm not actually here Ruby," Sapphire said unemotionally. "In fact, as far as I can tell, I'm not even real."

"Oh," Ruby said flatly. Her smile fell immediately.

"I didn't come here to discourage you if that's what you're thinking." Sapphire put a hand on Ruby's shoulder. Ruby made no effort to shrug it off.

"Then why did you come?"

"You needed someone to help you," Sapphire said, "To guide you through this place. And you picked me, the moment you got here. Sadly, I am only a memory. I cannot help you outside of here."

"And here is?" Ruby looked around. She noticed while she had multiple reflections, there was only one Sapphire.

"You're in your mind," Sapphire answered, "Or at least a part of it."

Ruby nodded. She was taking the information surprisingly well.

"So how do I get back?" Ruby asked.

Sapphire shook her head sadly. Ruby decided to interpret that as she would answer later.

"Well then-" Ruby began.

"No more questions," Sapphire cut her off. "After all, you already know all the answers. Right now you need rest. You're exhausted."

Ruby shook her head roughly, "I don't sleep."

"You will."

Sapphire placed her hand on Ruby's forehead and Ruby was sent into the blackness once more.