Chapter 8: When Apologies Are Due

Sapphire felt conflicted to say the least. While she knew her behavior towards Lapis was unfair, she didn't know what to do about it.

That's a lie, Sapphire thought. You're just trying to find someone to blame.

Sapphire grimaced. All she wanted was Ruby back and she was simply being impatient. Sapphire attempted to look into the future but couldn't. Ruby turning into Red had created such an alternate timeline that Sapphire couldn't find any logical futures to guide her with. He vision was useless as long as Red existed.

"Hey."

Lapis floated down next to Sapphire. She had been flying to the temple; it had been a week after all since Peridot was hurt. When she saw Sapphire sitting on the steps, she figured talking to her was the least she could do.

"Hello Lapis." Sapphire folded her hands together. The two didn't make eye contact but Lapis stared at Sapphire anyways.

"You're still upset with me," Lapis stated the obvious. She had never really been on Sapphire's good side to begin with and Sapphire made no attempt to dismiss the claim.

"Look," Lapis stood in front of Sapphire, "I get it. You're angry. And-"

"I'm not angry with you."

"Just, let me finish ok?" Lapis stopped her. "You're angry and you blame me and, who knows, maybe you should. I saw you and I wanted to apologize. I...I realize I never really did. So I'm sorry. I'm sorry I made her lose control and that I couldn't help her."

Sapphire shook her head slightly. "I should be the one apologizing, not you. I've been trying to find some sort of scapegoat when really there is no one to blame. She couldn't of been helped."

"If it makes you feel any better," Lapis said, "I'll be watching her. We'll get her back. After all, I owe that to her. Besides, I bet you guys already have a plan and before you know it, Ruby will be back on her own feet in no time."

"That's a nice thought but...no," Sapphire shook her head, "I'm afraid we have nothing. We have no idea what we're up against. We don't know how to fix her or if we even can." Sapphire felt tears brimming in her eye that only made her feel worse.

"Do you need to talk about it?" Lapis asked unsurely. She knew what it was like to miss someone you care about.

"I'm just..." Sapphire put her head in her hands, "I'm tired of acting like everything's ok. I'm tired of pretending like we have everything under control when we have nothing. I'm tired of feeling like shattering every time I say Ruby's name. I'm just...I'm tired..."

Lapis placed a hand on Sapphire's shoulder and looked her in the eye, "We'll save her. I promise."

Sapphire nodded.

"And just so you know," Lapis bit her lip a little, "If you see Red, be careful what you say around her. You'd be surprised who else can hear you too."

"What...what is that suppose to mean?" Sapphire asked confused.

"I have to go." Lapis took a step back and unfolded her wings. "Be careful out there Sapphire."

With that Lapis flew away, leaving Sapphire with even more doubts than before.