Chapter 27: It Doesn't Feel The Same

"What did you do?"

Red found herself pacing down the kindergarten hallways.

"What did you do to her?"

The snaking pathways were utterly massive. Red could've wandered for days in the secret caverns if she wanted to. She had no destination in mind but somewhere to think.

"What did she do to her?"

"Will you just shut up already?" Red mumbled.

An angry looking Sapphire stood in front of Red, her one eye burning with hate. It wasn't exactly an expression Red liked to see on the gem, even if she was just a figment of her imagination.

"You corrupted Jasper and you want me to just let that slide?" Sapphire asked.

"I didn't corrupt her," Red shot back defensively.

"Oh, then who did?" Sapphire crossed her arms. "I knew you were a maniac but corrupting another gem? Are we corrupted too?"

"I'm not gonna turn into some monster," Red gritted her teeth.

"No." Sapphire shook her head. "You already are one."

"I'm not going to argue with myself."

Sapphire let out a defiant 'hmpf.' She faded out of Red's vision, complaining about how chaotic it was inside their gem but Red didn't care to listen. Instead, she wanted to make sure something else was still safe.

Red's gem glowed as she pulled out the memory tablet. She let out a sigh of relief. Nothing had happened to it.

She examined the small stone. Was this what corrupted Jasper? Or is something...truly wrong...inside of me?

Red found herself at an opening in the hallway. Her pacing had proven somewhat useful. Carefully, she took a platform up to the surface. She had one last job to do before she destroyed the Crystal Gems for good.

•••••

Sapphire was sitting on the stairs when Red approached her. It was dark out and needless to say she hadn't been expecting company. Sapphire didn't, however, call for anyone when she saw who it was nor did she even summon her weapon. A gut feeling told her that Red meant no harm tonight.

Red didn't say anything, just she sat down next to the blue gem. This was something new she was feeling. Vulnerability. Red stifled a bitter laugh. I suppose you do learn things on Earth.

"When you first left," Sapphire cut through the silence, "After you became...you, I spent every night looking at the stars."

Red looked up at the sky. It was cloudy. She couldn't see a thing.

"I used to think about how only a few months ago, we had been looking at those stars together," Sapphire sighed.

Red's time was unexpectedly soft, understanding even. "You know that wasn't me."