Chapter 29: The Fool

Sapphire had a choice to make. A few choices actually. She could tell the Crystal Gems about Red's visit. She could face Red alone. She could try overpowering her outside the temple. She could try to get Red to take her to the Kindergarten to rescue Bismuth. There were so many possibilities, Sapphire felt overwhelmed. Given Red's behavior, she had no way of predicting what was going to happen next.

"Sapphire? Are you ok?"

Sapphire looked up to see Steven sitting next to her. She must not of noticed him approach.

"Yes, I'm alright Steven," She smiled at the boy. "Thank you. Is Connie still coming over?"

"About that..." Steven tapped his fingers along his arm, avoiding eye contact with her. "I called her over because I wanted to talk to her about the whole memory thing."

"Oh," Sapphire said. She figured he'd be asking about that soon. Everyone had been avoiding the subject.

"I tried asking Pearl but she just acts weird if I bring it up," Steven explained. "You guys said my eyes turned pink. Why did that happen? Why did I go after the tablet in the first place? Is there something you guys aren't telling me?" His eyes drifted to the painting of Rose Quartz which hung on the wall.

"If I can be honest with you Steven, I don't have any answers. I'm going to try to get them soon."

"What do you mean by that?"

Sapphire peaked past Steven to see out the window. "It looks like Connie is here. I'll leave you two to catch up."

Steven watched her leave disappointedly.

"Why won't anyone tell me anything..."

•••••

As night was approaching, the anxiety began to build in the back of Sapphire's throat. She only had one chance to do this. If she failed, she didn't know what would happen. Red might shatter her. The thought was quickly pushed out of her mind.

"Are you sure you don't want to come to pizza?" Pearl asked. "Steven has coupons."

"I'm sure," Sapphire nodded. She might of slipped those coupons onto Steven's bed in the first place in order to get everyone out of the house.

'The next time we meet will be the last...all or nothing.'

Sapphire didn't want to run the risk of the gem's getting hurt. Besides, this was between her and Red.

She waved to the group and sat by the window, on watch. Sure enough, the sky changed from a bright blue to a crimson sunset and Sapphire saw Red come over the horizon. Sapphire swallowed her fears and put on a smile. It was show time.

•••••

"You're early."

"I think the night's just late," Red smirked. She had already moved Bismuth and Jasper to a secret location, not feeling the need to poof them again. They were still useful to her after all. Her arm still hurt but the mark had faded. Red found it only appeared when she wanted it to.

"I took care of the gems," Sapphire lied. "They won't get in our way anymore. We have nothing to worry about now. So tell me, where are we going?"