Chapter 9: Take A Break

Sapphire came running inside the temple, hundreds of thoughts going through her head. Was there actually hope for Ruby? Was Ruby still there?

The others (that being Pearl, Amethyst, Peridot, and Steven) looked at Sapphire surprised. They had been talking about something before she came in.

"We need to talk about Ruby," Sapphire said flatly.

"No," Steven held up a hand. "Nope. No Ruby. Or Red either for that matter."

"Excuse me?" Sapphire asked.

"We have all been way too stressed these last 24 hours," Steven said. "I am hereby enforcing we take a moment to relax and collect our thoughts just for a little bit."

"Sounds good to me. I could use a break," Amethyst yawned.

"Amethyst," Pearl chastised but her tone fell a bit when she looked back at Steven. "I suppose it isn't a horrible thought. We've been quite busy."

"It's not like I could do anything anyways," Peridot grumbled, still healing from her previous confrontation.

Sapphire didn't believe this. "We finally started doing something and we're just going to stop? We're just going to ignore-"

"We aren't ignoring anything." Steven seemed prepared for this reaction. "We're just taking a break."

"For how long?" Sapphire asked impatiently.

"As long as it needs to be," Steven smiled. "I was just about to get everyone doughnuts but I think you should come along too. Maybe get your mind away from all this?"

Sapphire sighed. She couldn't say no to Steven's pleading face. Maybe he knows what he's talking about.

Steven and Sapphire left the temple and began walking to the Big Doughnut. They walked in silence mostly. When they entered, they greeted Sadie and Lars and walked to the counter.

"Do you already know what you want?" Steven asked.

"Hm?" Sapphire looked at Steven.

"Do you know what doughnut you want?"

"Oh, well," Sapphire thought, "What would you suggest?"

"Well personally," A terribly-familiar voice spoke behind them, "I prefer the jelly-filled ones."

Sapphire and Steven turned around shocked.

Red leaned against the counter nonchalantly. "They just have the right kind of sweetness, you know? Speaking of which I'll take three."

"No problem Ruby," Sadie grinned to Steven and Sapphire's astonishment.

"What's wrong?" Red grabbed her bag and grinned cooly at Sapphire. "Corrupted gem got your tongue?"

Sapphire felt her face heating up. "What are you doing here?" She and Steven were already preparing themselves for a fight, Steven summoning his shield and Sapphire an icicle.

"Just getting a snack from the locals like I do every week," Red raised an eyebrow. "Is that illegal now?"

"It is when you're a danger to the people around you," Sapphire glared.

"Really?" Red looked around in mock surprise and leaned in about an inch from the blue gem's face, "Because I'm not the one with their weapons out in a public facility. Are you implying that you'd like to fight in the midst of some helpless humans? Honestly Sapphy," Sapphire felt a pang of sadness at the old nickname, "Doesn't that sound a little dangerous?"

"What's your point?" Sapphire asked.

"I know we had our...disagreements in the past but I'm not a bad person Sapphire," Red placed a hand on Sapphire's weapon and lowered it away from her, "You'll see that eventually."

"Is that why you almost killed Peridot?" Steven piped up.

"She stole from us," Red shrugged. "I couldn't just let that slide." Red checked her imaginary watch as if to amplify her arrogance.

"Well, this has been a nice chat but I should be getting back. I really do hope to see you again Sapphire," Red winked at the blue gem. "Until then." Red left the two Crystal Gems in the doughnut shop absolutely dumbfounded.

"Heh," Steven finally forced a chuckle, "So much for...taking a break huh?"