Chapter 19: Strange Happenings

To say the least, the Crystal Gems didn't take well to the sight of Red approaching them with an unconscious Sapphire. The two of them seemed to be the last ones out. In fact, the team had just been discussing plans to go back in for them when Red appeared, beaten and exhausted.

"What did you do to her?" Pearl summoned her spear and pointed it accusingly at Red.

"Don't worry," Red said blankly. "I didn't hurt her." Red handed the blue gem over to Steven and stood awkwardly to the side. "In fact, she'd be lying in pieces in that cube if it weren't for me."

Pearl narrowed her eyes. "You saved her? Why?"

"Yeah, and how come you aren't attacking us now?" Amethyst also readied her weapon.

Red growled, "I didn't do it for her. Or you idiots for that matter."

"Then..." Steven stared at her, "Why did you do it?"

Red's face began to heat up. "Its because now that I've done something for you, you're going to do something for me."

"Why should we?" Peridot countered. "It was your trap that got her hurt after all."

Red glared, and grabbed Peridot by the shirt, "Look here you second era trash. I could've left your broken Sapphire to die but I was in a good mood today and brought her back to you. Whether you like it or not, you owe me. So when I come back to you for a favor, I expect you to personally jump to your feet and help, understood?"

Peridot gulped, but didn't give her the satisfaction of a response. Red didn't seem to care, dropping the gem and backing away.

"Oh," Red added as an after thought, "Don't forget to tell Lapis I said hi." With that, Red turned on her heels and disappeared past the hill. None of the gems went after her.

*****

A week had passed since the trap and no word had come of Red. Even Lapis wasn't sure where she went. It was as if she had just disappeared. Needless to say the gems weren't any less suspicious.

"How can she just vanish?" Sapphire could often be heard mumbling under her breath. "I can't see...I can't see."

On one particular night, once everyone else had gone to their rooms to rest, Sapphire had been lying on the couch deep in thought. Her eye was closed as she concentrated as hard as she could to see even a smidge into the future. It would seem, however, that Sapphire's future vision was failing her. Maybe it was heartbreak, she reasoned. Heartbreak can cloud your judgement. Or maybe, another part of her thought, maybe she was finally broken. Either way, Sapphire had begun to view herself as lesser. It was her future vision that made her useful. Without it...

'Those ice powers are impressive. You're a good fighter.'

Even though the words hadn't really come from Ruby, Sapphire felt warm hearing them from her. They were comforting. Red's praise was one of the only things keeping her confidence up.

"If you had been in that doorway and I was stuck down there, would you have left me?"

"Yes."

If Red truly didn't want to help her why did she keep her around in the first place? If that trap had truly been made to kill her...why hadn't Red shattered her when she had the chance?

Sapphire's thoughts were interrupted by the sounds of footsteps.

"Steven, is that you?" Sapphire sat up on the couch. Steven had gotten out of bed and was walking down the stairs. It hadn't been the first time he had woken up in the night but there was something strange about the way he walked.

"Steven, are you alright?" Sapphire eyed him carefully.

"I have to get it."

"What?" Sapphire frowned. Steven had reached the bottom of the stairs. The gem could hardly see his expression in the dark.

"I have to get it," Steven said again in a dazed voice. "I have to get it before the others do."

"What are you..." Sapphire walked over to Steven and took notice that his eyes were closed. Sleepwalking? Sapphire supposed it was a possibility. "What do you need to get?"

"The stone," Steven said. "The other two want it. I have to get it. I must get it before they do."

The young boy had begun to walk towards the warp pad.

"Steven!" Sapphire ran up to him, grabbing his shoulders. When she saw his face, however, she was shocked. His eyes had sprung open.

Sapphire could never explain what she saw but deep down to the deepest parts of her gem Sapphire felt her insides twist. She could sense it almost, that something inside him was unraveling, that something was trying to make themselves seen. Steven's irises had changed into two glowing pink circles and his pupil...

His pupil had taken the shape of a diamond.