Chapter 4: Shopping

Hera was always an early riser. Her own mother was and would always quote, "The early bird gets the worm,"and then usually made breakfast for the family. So waking up and slipping out of bed to continue the tradition was normal but walking into the kitchen to find another person in there was surprising.
The boy was in sweatpants and a white tank top, his back was to her, lighter patches of skin peaking out of the thin material. And he was still wearing his beanie.

Hera smiled and said, "Didn't know I wasn't the only early riser." Ezra smirked and looked over his shoulder still mixing whatever was in his bowl. "I was waiting for you to say something. I didn't want to scare you." Hera smiled at the boys kind words and went around the counter to see what he was making. She stood beside him as he continued stirring and furrowed her eyebrows at the thin mixture
"What is this batter for?"
Ezra smirked, "You've never heard of crepes?"
Hera frowned and shook her head, "No I don't think I have."
"Well then I guess we know what we're having for breakfast but I need more batter so if you want I can tell what to do?" Hera smiled at the boys offer and nodded. Ezra smiled in return and she noticed it actually breached his eyes.
Unlike all his previous fake ones.

Kanan and everyone woke up to the sound of laughter. They all peaked their heads into the hallway and looked to each other confused. The kids and Kanan tiptoed down stairs and entered the kitchen to find Hera and Ezra covered in batter laughing at each other.

Kanan cleared his throat and gained the two's attention making them both try to hide their laughter. Hera and Ezra pointed to each other and said, "He/She did it."
Everyone laughed and once it died down, Ezra said, "Ok I think I should clean up before we eat. Do you mind washing my clothes?" Hera smiled at the question and nodded. Ezra reached to take off his beanie and everyone watched his hair come down... to his waist. Ezra ran his hand through the blue mass and walked through the doorway while pulling up his hair into a bun from an unnoticed hair tie on his wrist. Everyone silently followed, wanting to ask a question but we're stopped in their tracks as he took off his tank top.

Everyone gasped in horror and surprise as they saw Ezra's body. His back was to them so they could see all the whip marks, burns and apparently two tattoos. He turned around when he heard the noise and they could suddenly see more tattoos on his wrists. Ezra frowned and said, "Sorry for scaring you. Thought you all saw the folder."
Sabine softly said, "We did but we didn't expect it to be so bad. And what about the tattoos? We didn't see any of those in the file."
Ezra nodded, "Yeah my, what was it? Fourth home, he was a tattoo artist and decided to try a few on me after knocking me out but he found my sketchbook and stole the designs. He wanted to remind me of which ones he stole."
They nodded mutely and Zeb had to ask, "What about yer' hair?"
Ezra smiled and said happily, "Since natural blue hair is rare, I get paid for it when I donate it." Sabines mouth dropped, "Its natural? I thought you dyed it."
The teen shook his head as he grabbed his duffel bag, "Nope, from my birth father."
He grabbed a black shirt and slipped it over his head. As he started to pull down his sweatpants, everyone turned to leave to give a sense privacy but not before they saw a glint of metal. Sabine looked down and said, "That also wasn't in your file."
He finally pulled off his sweats and said softly, "In the Lothal foster system, if you aren't chosen for a long time, they take off disabilities so you're chosen faster."

Right as he slipped on basketball shorts, Hera turned around and took the few steps to him, not being able to hold herself back and pulled him into a hug. Ezra flinched violently and his eyes widened over her shoulder; the warm, kind touch of another not registering fully. The family watched the frightened child, sad that they didn't know about him earlier.

After Hera finally let him go, he tried to brush off the incident and nonchalantly said, "What are we doing today?"
Kanan smiled devilishly, "We are going shopping." Ezra crossed his arms with a dead look, "My paycheck doesn't come till the end of the month, Corporal. You should know this."
Pony tail shook his head as he mimicked the kid, "And who said you were paying or your pay check?"
Ezra's eyes widened, "Corporal, are you ok? Or did you forget that I have no money?"
Kanan chuckled lightly, "Nope, I'm fine. And what I mean is I'm paying. So I'm going to get ready and you're going to eat breakfast. Then we are off to the mall."
Ezra watched as the man left the living room, "Is he serious?"
Everyone chuckled and left the room, leaving a gaping teenager.

An hour later at 9:00, Kanan in brown pants and a green shirt was with Ezra who was in the same outfit he changed into after the food fight. They were both in the car all the way to the mall, Ezra forgetting his beanie and his hair now in a long ponytail.

They entered the mall 30 minutes later, Kanan smiling, "So what first?"
Ezra looked at him with an exasperated expression, "Seriously Corporal?"
Kanan shrugged and walked off with Ezra following behind him. They went from store to store, getting things Ezra needs. He constantly told Kanan this was too much but Kanan simply told him, "You need it."
Four hours later, they were each holding ten bags, full stomachs and Ezra with a guilty look.
He suddenly stopped at a store and Kanan sudden noticed the absence of his ward. He turned around to find him standing there and said, "Ezra? You coming?"
Ezra looked at him with a smirk, "I think I'm in need of a trim."
And walked into the store or in other words Salon. Kanan went in after him to find him already at the counter

"Hello, I'm looking for Emmie."
The women nodded and left the counter. Kanan looked down at the kid, "Is she the one who normally cuts your hair?"
He nodded mutely. A minute later, a women with a pink pixie cut and blue eyes came out. "Hey Ezra. Ready to cut it off?"
Ezra nodded with a smile.

They went to the back where Ezra took down his blue hair and all the workers started to ask him questions about it.
He put up his hand and said, "Yes its natural so no its not dyed. And I'm here to donate it." Everyone gradually separated and Ezra finally got it cut. It was down to his shoulders, right to the point he could manage a small pony tail.

He walked out with 40 dollars and immediately gave them to Kanan.
"I need to at least try and repay so take this." Kanan smiled gently and nodded, not wanting to argue. He knew Ezra would stress more if he didn't accept and at this point, he wanted to get his new ward settled in.

They arrived home an hour later both exhausted and struggling to carry the bags. They placed them by the couch and Kanan went to the kitchen leaving Ezra in the Living Room.
He talked with everyone, figuring out that they already finished separating the wall and closet. Hera and Sabine plan to go out and get decorations tomorrow. Suddenly, Hera said, "Hey speaking of Ezra, where is he?"
Kanan shrugged, throwing his thumb behind him, "He was in the Living Room."
They all walked into see the couch empty but all the way in the corner, they could see a small mass. Hera smiled and went over to him to carefully pull up his blanket. He sighed in his sleep and tucked into a tighter ball. She smiled and walked back over to the group.
"He must be exhausted. He's passed out."
They smirked and left the room, going to their own to get a midmorning nap.