Chapter 27: The Event

The car ride was silent with anticipation, the void being filled by Ezra giving directions to the facility that was being used to host the event. Earlier, he had explained that word got out so much about their fundraiser, they had to rent another building so everybody could come. They silently nodded with impressed faces and couldn't wait to get there.

Pulling up to a street, the grass pass the sidewalks were filled bumper to bumper with cars of different colors and in the distance, the parking lot didn't look any better. Quickly parking with the cars in the grass before anyone could take the spot, the family quickly jumped out with Ezra last, carrying his duffel and guitar on his back.
Zeb looked around surprised, "Is it this busy ever' year? And we neva' noticed?"
Ezra shrugged as he continued down the road, "It's been like this three years now and really started picking up two years ago. I don't know why you haven't noticed, maybe you stayed home that day or something."

Skipping the front door, Ezra led the group around the back were staff were parked- Kanan muttering why they didn't park here- and walked up the steps leading to the metal back door of the massive building. Entering the room, they were greeted by many busy people rushing about to finish their assigned jobs before everything started and wires of different colors leading to places out of site. The mostly black room showed all behind scenes as well as the entrance to the stage. "We're allowed back here as I'm performing but I have to get ready with equipment so y'all can wonder around with the crowd and do some of the activities. Just come back around 11:00 because that's when the event really starts. Ok?"
Nods were passed around before they wondered off to the public section.

Amazed by all the people with different prosthetics and other limb deformities, they continued to walk around and try to do some of the suggestions Ezra recommended.
After playing a few games they recognized and didn't, it was nearing 11:00 so they made their way back, Sabine leading as she had remembered the path. Seeing the already herding crowd, they joined swiftly as to get a good sight of the blacked out stage. Standing there with chatter around them, the Jarrus' family decided to follow example and run small talk.
"What do you think Ezra's going to sing?"
Kanan said as a starter.
"Don't know but I doubt it's anything but good." Sabine responded with a slight smirk.

A stranger, overhearing the question and response, leaned over and said casually, "The reason most people come is for the music and for the kids to experience some cultural songs he sings. I doubt it'll be any different this year."
The small group looked the small man up and down, from his simple grey hat covering salt and pepper hair to his outfit of jeans paired with a navy blue shirt. Their eyes lastly settled on his metal plastic mix of an arm.
Seeing where their pupils were focused, he moved the limb outwards and exclaimed, "Got blown off in the war. An BE amputation that blew most of my money so I couldn't get a prosthetic. Well until I came here. Heard about this place from some buddies who didn't come this year and didn't want to go do to pity. After my friends pushed me to go, I've come back every year since."
Hera smiles at the story before explaining hers, "Our son as an AKA amputation though we don't know how it happened completely. We don't want to pry and let him come to us."
A soft look passed over his aged, wrinkled face, "Adoption?"
Nods were passed.
A light shown in his eyes.
"Good for you."

Suddenly, lights lit the stage and Ezra comes out dragging a microphone stand and the device in hand. Everyone seeing him on stage, burst into applause and cheering. Blushing at the amount of attention, the teen ducked his head as if trying to hide, setting up the stand and microphone into its holder. Chuckles passed throughout the crowd which just caused him to blush to his ears.
Clearing his throat, trying to get the blood to leave his cheeks, he smiled at the large amount of people, "Looks like we got a large crowd this year... and the last year and the one before that. I'm so happy this fundraiser is so popular so more people, children, adults, and elderly alike can have the chance to be whole again. Now for the newcomers, my name is Ezra and I will be your entertainer apparently. I have an AKA amputation and received my first prosthetic from here at the age of nine. I've been performing here for the past two years on the request of the owner of this charity, my friend Rex."
Loud applause rang throughout the building for the man who gave hope to many.
"Now as this usually goes, we have to sing the tradition song and anybody who knows it, don't be shy to join in." A smirk passed over his face before he looked over to cue the music.