Chapter 39

Unedited

Steph's POV

My heart breaks when I tell Ads the news that Lachie doesn't actually like her and it was just a bet for popularity. I nearly broke Taylor's neck when she told me. I didn't want to believe her but when multiple people started talking about it in their own conversations, I realise I had to tell Addie before someone else told her.
'What?' She asks me, her voice small.
'Lachie only asked you out as a bet for popularity.' I say sympathetically.
'Who told you?' She whispers.
'Taylor.' Her eyes finally meet mine when I say this.
'Taylor? How do you know this isn't just a scam?'
'I am sorry Ads. I really want this to be a scam but I did some dirty work and it is true. If he did manage to get you to be his girlfriend, all the boys from the footy team would pitch in 50 dollars.' Adelaide's face drops in horror.
'50?'
'Yeah. Thats...' I trail off.
'950.' She whispers and her eyes glue back down to her fingers. She is peeling the skin off of them and they look raw and sore.
'Ads, stop doing that! You could get them infected.' I chide and she rolls her eyes. She scowls suddenly and glares at me.
'I don't really care to be honest. My whole family hates me, my boyfriend isn't actually my boyfriend, one of my best friends turned me into the police and hasn't come to see how I am, everyone thinks I want to kill myself! I didn't but now, I do want to! Anywhere is better then here!' She growls and I shuffle back in my seat, surprised by her sudden outburst.
'Don't yell at me.' I say evenly to which she rolls her eyes and stands up, her chair scrapping across the floor. I watch as she walks over to the window and stares out. From where I am sitting, I can see she has tears in her eyes.
'Please leave.' She says in a hushed voice and my eyebrows crease together.
'Ads-' I begin but she cuts me off by waving her hand in the air.
'Don't.'
'Please don't be angry at me.' I plead standing up. 'I am just trying to help.' Her expression softens for a second but then hardens.
'I am not angry at you. Can you just let me process what you just said to me? Please.' Her voice thick with tears. I nod, hug her quickly, hand her a small bag and leave the room, shutting the door behind me. Lachie is lounging on one of the chairs outside her room. He stands up when I come out and smiles at me. I give him my best glare and his smile is wiped off his face.
'What?'
'You know what! How DARE you do that to Adelaide?'
'Do what?'
'She knows it was a bet.' Is all I say before walking down the hallway, my heels making clip clopping noises down the hall.

Lachie POV
Fuck! Shit! Crap! How did Adelaide find out about the bet!? It was supposed to be a secret! I made it in the first week of school! I still remember it!

Flashback...

'Oi! Lachie!' A voice calls and I look over my shoulder to see a group of guys from the football team walk over. Drew, I think, waves me over and I reluctantly look back to Addie who is sitting under a tree with her friends before walking over to them.
'Drew right?' I ask and he grins before nodding.
'You made it into the team man!' He exclaims and I can't help a grin sneak onto my face.
'Really?'
'Yeah.'
'Great.' I say, smirking to a group of girls wearing tight crop tops who are walking past.
'Hi.' They giggle as they wave. I raise my hand and one of the girls trips and bumps into another one, who glares at her.
'A ladies man huh?' Drew comments, looking at the girls backsides. No, but to get into this group? Sure.
'Yeah, they can't resist me.' I brag and Drew cocks his eyebrow.
'Oh really?'
'Yeah.' I reply confidently. Although he is a few years older then me, I am tall enough to see into his eyes easily.
'Hey babe.' A voice says from behind me and a girl with long dyed blonde hair wraps herself around him.
'Taylor have you met Lachie?' Drew asks looking down her top.
'Oo yas.' She drawls out looking me up and down. Ugh, I do NOT dig girls like her.
'He was just saying that he can get any girl he wants.' Taylor raises her eyebrows and searches the groups of people behind me.
'What about Adelaide Wellard?' I try not to wince when she says her name. I don't really want to mess around with her.
'What about her?' I reply cooly.
'Can you get her?'
'Psh, piece of cake.' I say looking over my shoulder.
'Wanna make a bet?' She asks and I look back and realise she has her body pressed against mine. I take a small step back and look over at Drew, I don't wanna mess with him. He doesn't seemed fazed that his girlfriend his rubbing her body over mine.
'Sure.' I breathe out and an evil glint rises in her eyes.
'If you get her to be your girl for two weeks, everyone from the football team will give you $50.' Drew says and I raise my eyebrows.
'She that hard to get?'
'Oh yeah. Her brothers are crazy protective of her.'
'Really?' I ask as if this was news to me.
'Uh huh. You also have to get her to my party in a few weeks time.' Drew says.
'And if I don't follow through?' I ask suspiciously 50 dollars is a crazy amount.
'We take over your life.' Taylor says causally.
'What?' I ask surprised.
'We take over your life.' One of Drew's lap dogs snigger and Drew glares at him.
'Deal.' I say after a moment. 'On one condition, Adelaide doesn't find out about it.' Drew smirks.
'Deal.'

I gently knock on the door and push it open when she doesn't answer. She is standing by the window, staring out.
'Hey.' I say cautiously, walking over to her when she doesn't reply. 'What's up?' I place my hands on her shoulders. She flinches and I immediately remove my hands. 'Princess?'
'Don't call me that.' She says, her voice thick with tears.
'What's wrong?' I ask, hoping that it isn't what I think it is about. She glares at me in the window which is reflecting our image. Her eyes are full of tears.
'You know damn well what I am talking about.' She whips around and pushes me. She actually pushes me, taking me off guard, I fall over the chair which knocks the table and it lands on me, hitting me in the stomach and my still injured ribs scream out. I gasp in pain, push the table off me and stand back up. She is now standing in front of the bed.
'Please let me explain-' I begin but her glare silences me.
'So it's true?' She says accusation in her voice.
'Prin-'
'Adelaide.' She snaps and I restart.
'Addie-'
'Adelaide!' She screeches and I take a breath. This isn't going to turn out good.
'Adelaide, you weren't supposed to find out about this-'
'So that makes it ok?' She interrupts.
'Ads, I mean, Adelaide, I made the bet the first week of school. I forgot about it around the time of the party. I honestly like you. No, I love you.' I says, tears in my eyes.
'You...love me?' She asks breathlessly. I nod my head vigorously.
'Yes. I did't really want to say it here in a hospital under these conditions but, I do. I love you.' I honestly say and Adelaide looks to the floor. 'Adelaide?'
'I am sorry but I can't say the same back to you. I can't trust you right now. I don't know if I ever will be able to.' She sniffles before looking at me behind a wave of caramel hair. Her beautiful blue eyes are red rimmed and the tip of her nose is slightly red.
'Please... don't say this.' I beg, tears falling finally falling down my face.
'I am sorry.' She says, crying herself. She still looks beautiful, no matter what she does, she will always be beautiful.
'Adelaide.' My voice cracks. She takes a few steps over to me and places one hand on my right cheek. I slightly tilt my head into it and close my eyes. I reopen them and look down at a tear-stained face. She goes up on her tip toes and lightly presses her lips to mine. I try to deepen the kiss but she pulls away and looks down at our feet.
'Please leave.' She whispers, removing her hand. I instantly feel cold and lost without her touch.
'What about us?'
'What about us?' She replies cooly turning her back on me.
'Are you still my girlfriend?' I ask, deep down knowing the answer.
'No.'
'So you are breaking up with me?' My stomach knots up. Her head bobs up and down and I nearly collapse. I stand still for a few seconds, regaining my balance and walking out the room, shutting the door tightly behind me. I will never stop loving her.

Adelaide's POV

When the door shuts I break down completely. I fall onto the floor and roll up into a tight ball. When Lachie told me he loved me, I wanted to forgive him so so badly but, I couldn't. Not after what he did. I lie on my side, pressing my body against the cold hard floor and sob. I can't do anything else but sob.

I finally sit up out of the fatal position and crawl over to my MacBook. I open it up and look for boarding schools in England. I then call Martin.

One more chapter to go guys! No more Adelaide and Lachie huh? What do you guys think of that? Anyway, vote!