00.07 | c a p i t u l o s i e s

- U N E D I T E D-

c h a p t e r s i x

      When I entered the house it suddenly became silent. The only things echoing were the eerie noise of my brother's knife scrapping at the bottom of the plate. I gulped as I stepped into the dinning room. My mother was examining my face with superstition, and my father had his nose buried up in an old book with browning pages. I sighed inwardly, that's where I got my love of books from.

   Mother struck her narrowed eyes at me and tried to stare me down, but I averted her stare and started to make my way past them. I tried to hide my guilt, but my fingernails were digging into my palms and my hairline was lining in sweat.

  "Not so fast," Father mused, kissing his teeth. I gulped feeling my legs wobble from the heaviness in my chest.

   "Yes?" I questioned, glancing down at him. His spectacles were tipped on the tip of his nose and his mouth was twisted in a sour expression.

   "Why did you come so late?" Then I realized that it wasn't as early as I thought it had been. I promised them
I'd be home by seven but the clock indicated that it was eight fifteen. I gulped feeling the eerie emptiness creep back into my stomach.

    "Uh.... I had to go use the ladies room, and you know how crowded that gets in the mall," I sweetly comment. Father's eyes grew wide in realization.

   "Oh okay then." My forehead scrunched up. Why didn't he interrogate me? If I were my father at this moment I'd think something fishy had happened. But he actually believed my little white lie. My mother was as confused and perturbed as I was. She rolled her eyes dramatically and scoffed.

   "Are you stupid? She was making out with Adam I tell you!" She insisted. My eyes grew twice their size and my heart skipped a beat. How did she know? How did she draw to that conclusion?

  I glanced at my flabbergasted father, his lips were parted trying to focus on what my mother had just boasted. My little brother was also left aghast, the pasta was hanging loosely from his mouth.

    "Mother, that is not not true!" I interjected, throwing my flimsy hands in the air. My mother's stare turned into a cold scowl.

   "Do not lie to me Madeline. I am your mother and I know you more that you know the back of your hand!" She bursted, her eyes dimming in uncontrollable rage and her teeth gritting in angst. I was frightened and baffled. Had she followed me to the mall? Did she stalk me? Or was she a witch?

     Gulping in frustration, I straighten up my back and try to control my uneven breathing. She brushed the bangs out of her vision and sneered. I actually thought mom liked Adam, I guess not. But that wasn't the problem at the moment.

     "You would never kiss my best friend, right Maddie?" Father questioned in a calm and secured manner. My palms felt clammy and my heart began racing in my ribcage. I couldn't lie to him, i just couldn't. Not when he trusted me the most. So I just nodded instead of actually answering. I was so ridiculous and guilty.

   "Don't you see that she's lying?" My mom growled.

   "Mom where did you get that idea from?" I wandered allowed making her sit back in her chair in discomfort. She answered me with a sarcastic snicker, and stuffed the rest of the pasta in her mouth. I sighed. I had a little mini heart attack.

    Before she could start with more accusations I excused myself and hurried up the creaky stairs. I rushed inside my bedroom and closed the door behind me. Had I been too obvious? Probably.