00.08| c a p i t u l o s i e t e

- U N E D I T E D -

- c h a p t e r  s e v e n -

Today was auntie Pearl's wedding anniversary. My mother was always hectic and stressed every time this day would come by. With decorations and checking if the cake was big enough for twenty five people not any less or any more, my mom was running around angsty like a chicken without a head.

"Where's the table cloth?!" My mother screamed as she pulled the roasted pork leg out of the oven. She poked it with a fork and heaved blowing a strand of her hair out of her vision. "It's still raw," she groaned loud enough for me to hear.

"Mom I don't know," I rambled, trying to steady all the boxes full of decorations stacked in my hold. I struggled to maintain a grip on them as I trudged over to the backyard. I began setting them down on one of the tables.

"Don't worry about the table cloth I found it," Dad chimed as he entered the back yard. I sighed through my nose.

"Thank god." I scratch the back of my head looking at all the patio lights tangled in bulks. "If you wouldn't have found it mom would have had a tantrum and sent us all to hell."

"Well I'm glad I found it," he said.

I began to untangle the knotted lights, not long after I drop the lights and groan in exasperation. This was impossible. Why did we even need these lights in the first place? My mom was always so extra with unnecessary decorations. But I guess these patio lights would look nice. Auntie Pearl would love it.

"Maddie, don't fuss about the lights," he took the lights out of my hold. "Adam will take care of it when he gets here," my heart stopped beating the moment he said 'Adam'.

"Adam is coming?" I question, trying to settle my rattling fingers and shaking body. The thought of him and I in his truck last night made my body tremble with odd jolts of electricity.

"He is a part of the family Maddie."

"I know," I avert my hesitant gaze and shake my head. "I can do this," I motion with my hands.

"I know but you're already stressed with your mother nagging at you and besides you did run errands," he comments making me shrug.

"Dad, I don't need Adam's help," I say with a reassuring look. He rolled his warm eyes and clicked tongue.

"Maybe I should call him now so he can come sooner and help you out," my jaw dropped and body jolted in fear. He didn't understand anything I just said did he!

"No no no! Dad it's fine I'm great," I reassure taking the phone out of his hold. He narrowed his eyes and snatched his phone from my flimsy fingers.

"What's up with you?" He arched an eyebrow. "You've been acting weird since yesterday," he exclaimed eyeing me with speculation. My hands trembled and my heart began to accelerate uncontrollably.

"Nothing I just believe that I'm good to do things on my own." I hesitated.

His warm eyes softened at my tensed body. "Fine," he mumbled, rolling his eyes and strutting away. I sighed in relief.

That would buy me time. And I wouldn't have to see Adam for a few hours. I needed to control myself. I was an utter mess. My mom had told me inconceivable yet true accusations of me last night, and I was still jittery and unfocused. How'd she jump to the conclusion that I kissed Adam tho? Did she follow me to the mall because she didn't trust me being alone in Adam's company?