Chapter 12: Wildfire

I'm dreading going to school today because I know who will be waiting just around the corner to interrogate me. Mason keeps tailing me, wanting to know more about the situation with my stepmother. It's tiring.

"Why don't you just quit walking away? I am not leaving until you talk to me," I hear his voice echo from behind me as I keep forcing myself to move ahead, trying to put up a mental block against him.

I round the school corner into the school garden, hoping to lose him, but he's persistent. Now I know how Jay felt when I stalked him non-stop. Lately, I've been staying out of his way. 

I continue on in willpower, my camera in hand, as I stop alongside the flower beds where the new flowers have just been planted. I ignore Mason's pointless presence as I snap a few shots.

"You know, winter will come to an end soon. Eventually, those long sleeve shirts will go and you'll be left exposed. Then what?" he asks harshly.

My fuse is short and I end up losing it. "What the hell is your problem? Just leave me alone!" I spit, furious, now only capable of seeing the red flowers.

"You," he snaps back, "you are my problem!"

I take a step back, my lips parting, his tone catching me off guard. "H-How?" I stutter, confusion etched into my features.

Mason takes a step forward and grabs hold of my left hand and lifts up the sleeve. "This," he glances down at my bruised wrist, "is the problem." He sighs, averting his eyes, "Believe it or not, Aqueela, but I do somewhat care about what happens to you. I'm not completely heartless."

I beg to differ. Agree to disagree.

I must look like a fish out of water, my mouth opening and closing, as I try to come up with something to say in turn. His concern has left me completely speechless.

"I'm worried," he admits softly.

I stand still, taken aback by his sudden closeness.

"Aqueela, I..."

I zone out of whatever it that he's saying when Jay brushes passed us, hoping to go by unnoticed. He lifts his head and meets my gaze for a second before he heads for his usual place by the oak tree.

My senses come back to me as I quickly snatch my hand out of Mason's. I narrow my eyes up at him in warning, "Stay out of my business." 

Mason reaches out to me, but I pull back and leave instead.

"There you are!" Max shouts upon seeing me as I walk on by. 

Unfortunately, he easily catches up with my quick paced strides. 

"I've been looking everywhere for you. You haven't pitched to any of our set training times," he scolds me from within his sports attire. 

I stop to scan his appearance, only now noticing his baggy basketball shorts, running shoes and the red whistle hanging from his neck. He has to dress the part to play the part - hence dressed as my coach. He is either all or nothing, he can never just be. He always has to go all out in everything he does. He puts cheerleaders to shame.

I roll my eyes in response. "Well, excuse me for not being able to make it during school hours!" I stomp my foot with a whine. 

Who makes training times during maths class? I am barely passing as it is.

"You're excused, but you need to get your priorities straight and you need to get your head screwed on right. This MMA competition is the big break that we've been waiting for all our life and since the very beginning of time," he reprimands me as if I'm the delusional one with my head stuck in the clouds.