Chapter 14: Don't Knock Him 'Til You've Tried Him

"Please stop. I've literally resorted to begging. That's how desperate I am. Please quit it," Jay pleads from beside me as we walk to the bar. 

I ignore him, increasing my pitch as I skip along beside, "I've got the magic in me! Every time I touch that track it turns into gold! Everybody knows I've got the magic in me! When I hit the floor the guys come snappin' at me!" I sing loudly to the tune of the melody. 

I begin to raise my hands only for Jay to swat them down when bystanders give us strange looks. I ignore Jay and begin to clap anyway. "Everybody now!" I say aloud and then begin again, alone. "I've got the magic in me! Everybody knows-"

I am cut off from singing any further when Jay slaps a hand over my mouth. He gives me a challenging stare as if to say 'just try that again', and so I do, much to his misfortune and much to my own amusement.

"I only agreed to show you my job because you begged me. Our agreement didn't include you not shutting that mouth of yours. My ears are bleeding. I don't pity deaf people anymore. Your singing is atrocious and that's putting it lightly. Now shut up," he insults me, trying to come off as intimidating.

"Buzzkill," I say aloud and follow him into the bar.

"Jay, you're late," the one whom I assume to be his boss, and apparent friend, appears before us, unimpressed. 

Jay shrugs and motions to me as if that is answer enough in itself. 

His boss, muscular with tattoos here and there, nods in understanding. "This the crazy girl you always going on about?" he asks knowingly, shooting Jay a look.

My mouth falls agape as I turn to Jay for an explanation only to be met with a sheepish grin and another shrug. As pleased as I am that Jay actually talks about me, well, complains about me, I do not appreciate being called 'crazy'. 

I turn back to the boss with narrowed eyes, "And you must be the nobody that I've never heard of because Jay never talks of you. At all. Never. Never ever." I emphasize the facts, trying to make him jealous, but failing miserably. 

Maybe if he were female it would have worked better.

The boss chuckles, mouthing to Jay, 'Crazy.' 

Jay nods, mouthing back, 'I know.' 

"Well, did you know that I can see you two mouthing insults to each other about me?" I ask aloud, annoyed.

"We know, we just don't care," Jay retorts casually.

The boss laughs at my facial expression, amused. He waves the matter off, motioning to Jay to take his shift and get to work. I watch as Jay takes his place as the bartender at the front of the bar and starts preparing drinks like a pro.

I sit on the barstool and watch him work. It's quite fascinating really - like seeing the beast operate in his natural habitat. I also notice his predators crowding around again, by that, I mean the females flocking about in order to get his attention.

I quickly write this vital piece of information down on the notepad in front of me.

I watch on intently as one blonde twirls a curl around her finger. "Hey, Jay," she smiles sweetly up at him, seeking one-on-one time.

He brushes her off with iciness.

I jot this down in my notebook too. It is critical and relevant to the documentary on the life of Jay Taylor.