Chapter 25: What I Need

I cock my head to the side as Jay continues to ramble on with lectures.

Mhmmm...

Here's a good question, why don't hedgehogs just get over it and share the hedge?

Oooh...here's another brain teaser, three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.

If at first you don’t succeed . . . so much for skydiving.

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. That's why I don't argue with Jay...speaking of which...

"Hey Aqueela!" Jay shouts, "Are you even listening to me?!"

I nod absentmindedly, "Sure sure." I lie smoothly without him suspecting a thing.

"What did I just say?"

Okay so maybe he suspects a thing or two...

"What is this? A pop quiz?" I mutter, annoyed.

"I knew you weren't listening." Jay responds, probably more annoyed than me. Okay a lot more than me. "You never listen!"

Ouch! I felt that one. He crossed the line.

"You should go." I mumble, pointing to the door.

He raises both eyebrows incredulously, struck speeches by my audacity, "This is my goddamn house!"

I flinch at him raising tone, but I'm amused none the less, "Still, you should go."

"My house!"

"Not anymore. It's our house now and you need to go." 

"Dammit Aqueela, I just spent the last forty five minutes explaining that this is my house only. You didn't listen to anything I said. Now we're back to phase one, arguing it out."

"Ooh my favourite part!" I squeal excitedly and clap my hands.

"Yeah, only cause you always win." Jay curses, frustrated with me as he paces about, still taking in the new mess that is our home. "First Oog and now you. Anyone else you want to move in to?" he snaps.

I raise my hand in enthusiasm, "Oooh! Oooh! What about Max or-"

"I wasn't serious!"

I pout at this.

"Don't give me that look!" Jay complains. "You seriously can't stay here."

I stomp my foot in a childish manner, "But you're eighteen and legal. I have no where else to go to."

"Your grandparents. I even offered to pick you up for school and drop you off. What happened to that plan?" he questions, genuinely confused.

I yawn and wave off the matter, "It died."

"So will you if you stay here." he threatens me, trying to be intimidating, but failing.

"Meh." I shrug casually, "I'll take my chances."

Jay sighs, "Of course you would." I grin, realizing that the sigh was a sign he'd given in. "C'mon, let's get this place cleaned up." Jay says softly, motioning to the filthy yet pink decorative house.

I smile, leaning forward to poke his cheek, "Does that mean I can stay?"

Jay rolls his eyes, pushing my prying fingers out of his face, "Only temporarily until we figure something out."