Chapter 27: Game Over

"Aqueela get the door! I'm gonna head up stairs to shower." Jay calls from somewhere in the kitchen as the doorbell rings over and over again, the sound echoing around for the entire neighborhood to hear.

"I would Jay, I really would, but I'm very busy with an important project. You get it PackRat!" I shout back, continuing on with my project. I grin to myself as he curses at me for not doing what he'd ask. What did he expect? It's not like I ever listen. 

"What did you just call me?!" he hisses from the other side of the room.

I blink, surprised by his hostile tone, "Oh nothing Deary." I reply back in an old lady's voice. There's no way he can hit an old lady.

The kitchen door slams open as Jay strolls past me with a frown. When he sees me he stops short with a cool glare that sends shivers up my spine, but I don't let it show. Jay is in actual fact quite intimidating when I disobey him, but hey...he'll never know that. "This is what you're important project is?" Jay questions softly and calmly, yet his blue eyes saying otherwise, a complete and utter raging storm.

I nod meekly, aware that his laid back facade was about to blow...

And in three...

Two...

"Aqueela!" he finally yells like a bomb going off, exploding anger in my direction in tumbling waves of fury, a ferocious volcano eruption. I wince at the sound but keep up my confident brave face none the less. He went off right on time. Man I'm good at predicting his mood swings seeing as I'm the cause of them!

"Yes J-Bear?" I answer casually and simply, blinking innocently up at him from my lounged position on his spray painted pink sofas.  He gives me a look for the new nickname I invented for him. I shrug teasingly, "What? You won't let me call you JT so it's either J-Bear or JayJay. Your choice."

"How is painting your toe nails important?" Jay asks, annoyed and not even trying to mask it. How rude!

"How is showering important?" I return the question, keeping my legs dangling in the air to wait for my toe nails to dry faster.

"You always make me answer the dam door because you're always busy with crap that you always claim is important when really it's just stupid girly rubbish!" Jay complains, clearly needing to get a few things off his chest, "You have no boundaries and you take everything I offer to you for granted. The least you can do is..." he trails off when he realizes I'm not listening anymore. I blow on my fingernails absentmindedly to get them to dry quicker, forgetting that he was speaking to me. "Why do I even bother?" he mutters to himself and I can't help but wonder why too. If I was him I would have kicked me out a long time ago. I'm a pest or as Mason likes to refer to me as...a leech.

Feeling guilty I completely forget about the neon blue nail polish on my toes as I sit up, planting my feet straight down onto his couch. Jay must have seen what I was about to do as his head snaps up and his eyes widen in alarm, "Aqueela!" he warns but not in time as the blue nail polish smears over the spray painted pink leather couches. He sighs as I give him an apologetic pout. He runs a hand through his hair as the doorbell continues to ring, working at his temper all the more. He glances impatiently from my sheepish expression to the pink couch with blue blotches everywhere before grumbling something to himself. He gives me one final glare, "Just forget about it and answer the f**king door." He orders as he walks up stairs to finally go take that shower.

Feeling awful about ruining his couches, his property, all over again...I decide to obey and just answer the door and please him for once. I unlock the front door reluctantly, walking like penguin as I waddle across the wooden dinning room floors, almost slipping and bailing on my face in the process. It's not easy taking steps when you're trying to keep your wet toe nails off the wooden floors. I must look ridiculously awesome right about now.