o n e

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄—𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟷—

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄
—𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟷—

       𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄. The teenagers that moved about around her didn't even bother to glance her way. But she didn't mind. She simply glanced up at one of the familiar girls— Carmen— and sent her a small smile, before her eyes were glued onto the book in her hands once again.

Melody liked to keep to herself. The other teenagers of Westbrooke hadn't been as appealing as a good book, nor a day spent inside playing boardgames with her family while the snow fell outside. Snow wasn't unusual for the small town of Westbrooke. In fact, it was almost always snowing. No one knew why, though; there weren't seasons anymore, as far as the people of the town were concerned. It was always winter.

Clark, Melody's only friend, normally spent time studying the basics of Westbrooke, or Virginia in general. He was so interested in the way the weather changed and effected the economy that he barely had any friends himself.

But Melody was one exception.

Melody didn't care about Clark's abnormal love for his town. To her, it only made him so much more special. She enjoyed the time they would spend together, which was rarely ever spent in silence.

Every weekend, after they finished their chores, Melody and Clark would meet up in their favorite hideaway spot, and gossip about their week. Clark would talk about his studies, of course, along with some of the things he heard while working in the stone mines. But Melody would only ever talk about the books that she had finished.

Melody was different than any other girl that Clark had met. She was intriguing, in a way. Despite her lack of sociality, she was perfect to him.

But he would never tell her that.

And throughout the years they spent together as best friends, the closer they had gotten. Recently, Melody had seemed to be attached to Clark by the hip. She was constantly with him, and, of course, Clark didn't object.

But today, Clark wasn't with Melody. He was off in the stone mines, helping his father haul some off some of the stone statues he had been working on for the week. So, Melody sat alone, reading her book like she usually did.

The teenagers around her stared with amusement, watching how she wouldn't even take a moment to acknowledge them. Of course they knew Melody was always like this, but they would sometimes get captivated in her small movements. She was someone the teenagers couldn't seem to figure out— despite the fact that they saw her almost every day.

But today was different, other than the fact that Clark wasn't sitting beside Melody, venting to her of his day.

Today, there wasn't snow.