a f t e r t a s t e

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄—𝚝𝚠𝚘 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛—

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄
—𝚝𝚠𝚘 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛—

     𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐒 𝐎𝐔𝐓 the candles of her eighteenth birthday cake, a grin spreading across her face as Clark smiles to her. Her parents cheer, clapping their hands, and moving to grab plates for the slight crowd that had gathered around the dining room table. The snow-haired girl stands as everyone moves to get cake, feeling the strong need to reside in her bedroom. After a long day, perhaps it was just the exhaustion that was pulling at her eyelids, and begging her to leave her family and friends behind.

As she lets out a small yawn, she pulls open her bedroom door, closing it behind her once she begins to rub her eyes with the palms of her hands. But when opening them again, she nearly falls to the floor in surprise. Grasping the doorknob with her hand, she places her other on her chest.

"I . . . what are you . . . who are you?"

The unfamiliar white-haired boy steps forward, pulling down his hood and pulling a necklace from his hoodie pocket. He opens up his hand, revealing the blue crystal pendant, before looking to the girl like he had wanted to for so many days.

"I think it's time to give this back to you," the boy says. "As a birthday gift, perhaps."

And as Melody finally finds herself looking into his eyes, she sinks to the floor beneath her, honey-colored eyes brimming with unshed tears. On her knees, staring up at him, forgotten memories flood through her heart, overwhelming her feelings with more love than she ever thought possible.

Because now that she could finally remember, her unusual attraction to the color of blue, the pattern on her arm, and that rustle in the trees so many months ago finally made sense again.

And now that Frost was here, falling in front of her with a warm smile lighting up his face, she leans into his warm touch as he places his hand on her flushed cheek.

She was never going to let him go.

_______