t w o

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎—𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟷—

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎
—𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟷—

𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓 to put the book down. Her fingertips clung to it as she read on, her eyes only leaving the words to flip to another mesmerizing page. It wasn't odd to her, though, seeing as this was her normal routine with a good book. But the fact of the fiction character seemed to make the story so much better than the ones she had previously read.

Melody wasn't used to the genre— science and historical fiction were her usual choice in topics, and the ones that she would continuously buy and read. And after reading them, she would add them to her large collection of books on a shelf that was nailed to the wall. And yet this book interested her so much more than any of the others.

"'Until the day the boy had left, disappearing far into the Snow Peak Mountains. And that night, as the sun began to set, the first blizzard set sail upon the small town of Westbrooke, Virginia.'" Melody reads aloud, before finally coming to a pause.

She closed the book quietly, placing it down on the bed beside her as she stared at her bedroom door in confusion.

"Just like that?" Melody asks herself, her eyebrows furrowed deeply. "It's over?"

She shook her head, before picking the book up again. She skimmed over the last few pages of the story, rereading the last sentences over and over again.

And yet, the sentences don't change; they only mock her repetitively. Over and over and over, the same words play in her head.

Never had she expected to be this confused and interested in a myth, let alone wanting to read more about it. Once again, she laid the book aside. Then she stood up, and made her way into the dining room, where her mother paced, lying plates down on the table with silverware, napkins, and glasses.

"Mother?" Melody asks, leaning on the door frame. "May I go to the library?"

"I suppose," her mother replies, not looking up as she sits another glass cup onto the table drapery, "but only for a bit. I want you home before dark, and dinner should be ready by then."

"Thank you!" Melody places a kiss on her mother's cheek, before darting for the front door.

It didn't take her long to reach the library; only a few minutes from as far as she could count. But it seemed like forever, as she wanted to learn more about the story. Clenching the book tighter in her hand, Melody opens the door to the remodeled public library, where she spent most of her time, if not with Clark.