Chapter 5

*Unedited*

Brianna grabbed the keys to her rental as she left through the doors of her family home. Her mother had just asked her to go in to town and get some groceries for dinner and Brittany agreed to accompany her. She could already tell that the ride would be an awkward one. Settling in the driver's seat, Brianna watched as her youngest sister seated herself in the passenger's seat next to her, before starting the car.

"So..." Brianna trailed off not really knowing what to say but wanting to start a conversation.

"What's going on between you and Jack?" she grimaced at the harshness of Brittany's tone.

"Nothing! Why do you think there's something going on?" her response came off as defensive.

"Let's not do that," Brittany warned.

"Why do you want to know? Do you like Jack?" Brianna asked accusingly. She turned to look at her sister as she frowned and crinkled her nose obviously offended by the idea.

"Jack's gorgeous but he's way too old for me. I'm asking because you have no intention to stay and Jack is a nice guy, someone who I get along with and really like having as a part of the family and I don't want you to ruin that because you end up breaking his heart," she explained and Brianna could only manage a nod.

"Well I don't know what is happening, I'm not an expert in relationships-"

"Clearly-"

"But I do know that whatever is happening is not within my control. Anything that happens, it's all on Jack," Brianna replied. It was the truth. Jack was making all the moves so far and she wasn't sure she could stop him even if she tried.

Brianna parked the car and climbed out with Brittany immediately. They both entered the grocery store, Brittany calling to a few familiar people and Brianna heading towards the aisles. She looked over her shopping list, crossing off the items she had found already and continued to search for the ones she had not. As she reached for a can of beans, her phone rang. Quickly grabbing the can, she answered her phone on the last ring wincing as Brittany glared at her.

"Brianna Jaxton."

"Hey Bree," Jasmine greeted.

"What's up?"

"You have a very important meeting with the manager of the next face of the magazine. I tried to explain that you're away on vacation but he insists that he will only meet with you."

"What?! Theres no way I can fly out for a meeting after everything I have promised my family. Can't I video call him?" she hissed into the phone. Brittany who was listening in, wore a disapproving look on her face and Brianna pushed the shopping list towards her before walking out of the supermarket. She walked into the coffee shop next door and took a seat at an unoccupied table.

"He wants to talk in person, says that his client is in high demand and that we need to act quick."

"You tell that bastard-"

"Brianna, we would really benefit from having his client as our next face."

"Fine, so I can't tell him what I want to but I am not leaving my family. They're important too," she ran her fingers through her hair frustrated, "I can't go to him but what if he comes to me?"

"I'll run the idea by him and email you later," Jasmine assured her boss.

"Great. Thanks for all the hard work you're putting in."

"You're welcome. How about a 'hey' next time I call?" Jasmine teased before ending the call. She sighed in relief, hoping that this man would agree to her proposal because she did not want to let her family down.