Chapter 8

*Unedited*

The first morning that Brianna woke and had breakfast without Jackson showing up was awkward but manageable. She hadn't found his absence suspicious. In fact, she had expected it. When the day continued and he still hadn't come over for dinner, she had expected that as well. But when the week continued and there was no Jackson, she grew worried.

She wasn't just worried that he was really upset with her and was most likely done with whatever complications they had. She was also sad because she had liked having him around. She had grown comfortable with his presence and now that he wasn't here, she missed him.

Though her family had watched her with suspicion, as if they were waiting for her to question his where-a-bouts, they didn't say anything to her. Lucas had come over often during his week-long visit to see Brittany and he even carried her out one night. Daniel had awkwardly exchanged numbers with Bailey. But then they had signed the contract and left for another photoshoot last night.

Now that she wasn't occupied with getting the contract signed, Jackson's absence was noticeable. Brianna sighed when she looked over at his house as she packed her rental. Today was Brittany's prom and so she had to be there to ensure the smooth sailing of her magazine project. Her camera crew had already set up to take pictures and her brother's fiancé, Erica, was accompanying her to get details for the article.

She had to leave Bailey in charge of helping Brittany get ready for prom but not before she had approved of her dress and gave her instructions for make-up and shoes. With Erica in the passenger's seat, and a last glance at Jackson's house, Brianna climbed into her car and started the engine.

"He's gone for work," Erica informed her soon-to-be sister-in-law when she noticed the distressed look on her face.

"Work?" Brianna didn't bother pretending she didn't care.

"Yeah. His job is just as demanding as yours is, if not more and requires him to travel all over the world every now and then but he always finds his way back home. He loves it here and he never lets work control his life," Erica watched confusion take over the pretty brunette's face.

"What does he do for a living?" she asked heavily curious.

"I think you should ask him that."

The conversation died when those words left Erica's lips and Brianna sighed I defeat. She couldn't ask him anything. He was upset with her and she deserved it. It's what she was used to- pushing people away from her because she was never around long enough to need them in her life. It had always worked for her but this time it hurt. Maybe because she actually wanted him around...

She didn't have much time to think about her actions towards Jack last week, she realized as she parked the car in the school's parking lot. It was time for her to work again...the only thing she knew how to do best. Climbing out of her rental, along with Erica, she grabbed her bag and walked towards the school entrance. She was wearing a simple fitted dress with some small heels and her hair up in a bun, because she hadn't wanted to stand out among the crowd in jeans or some fancy dress. Erica, who was dressed similar to her, followed behind her as they entered the gym which was beautifully decorated. Brittany and her prom team had worked wonders.

By the time everything was sorted and in place, people had started arriving and Brianna was in full work mode. She made sure the photographers captured the best dresses and suits, inclusive of some really cute couples. Some of the students were star-struck by her and engaged her in light conversations expressing their love for her magazine and desire for her job in the future.