Saying Goodbye

Before she was leaving Firehouse 51, Hermann approached her. "For being such a good citizen, and a great friend to the crews of Squad 3 and Truck 81, we'd like to give you a little gift to remember us by when you're at home." He said. In his hand he held a gold pin with their insignia on it. "I don't know what to say. This is so, generous of you." She said and took the pin nicely. "Thank you." She said and gave him a hug. "Thank YOU." Hermann said back. She said goodbye to the crews and left with Hank to the house and packed her stuff then he took her to the airport. Detective Jay Halstead was approaching her. "Now, I don't always say this. Actually, I have never said this before." He said as he stood in front of her. He took a plane ticket out of his jacket and was handing it to her. "I really wish it wasn't just a ticket for one. Or, that there was no ticket at all." He said. She got a bit emotional then gently took the ticket and looked him in the eyes. "It's been a great pleasure. Having someone like you around." He said. "There isn't enough people like you. Never change. For anybody." He added. She saw water pooling in the bottom of his eyes. She let go of her bag and began to hold him. "You stay safe out there on these mean streets Halstead. But if something ever happens to any of you, I'm taking the first flight back here." She said. "Oh I'll be sure to catch a bullet then." He said. She let go of him and took her luggage handle in her right hand and gave him a gentle punch with her left fist. "Don't you dare." She replied. He gave a little smile.

She walked ahead and met the rest of Intelligence, waiting. She hugged each of them and said her goodbyes. "You have a good heart." She told Adam. "And I hope to be back someday and see you all again." She said. "We hope so too." Adam said. "Thank you. All of you. For helping out and for keeping me safe. And Hank, for showing me the city. You're all very good people." She said. "You've been a joy." Kevin told her. "Little ray of sunshine." He nicknamed her. She smiled. "Yet another." She said. "I'll miss you! And I'll never forget you!" She said as she was walking away. She looked to the flight attendant and gave her the ticket then watched her rip it and say "Enjoy your flight." Then the attendant looked to behind her. She looked back at Intelligence Unit all saluting. She started to get emotional. "God I love you guys!" She said to them. Adam and Jay looked emotional. Hank gave a nod. She saluted then turned and headed down the runway. They all put their arms down and started to leave slowly. "Do I need to be worried?" Burgess asked Ruzek. "No. I just liked her joy for the job. Her respect for us who do the job. She was, really nice." He said. "Yeah, she was." Kim replied. "How about you?" Erin asked Jay. "What? I'm fine." He said then wiped his eye with his sleeve. She gently elbowed him.

THE END