Chapter 2.

It was days before the package came. Addressed to myself, of course, and thinner than ever. Gloria stood next to where I was perched, hovering, as I slowly opened the envelope. The string wrapped around the opening was soft but I could not stop feeling the cold sweat that had formed at the back of my neck. Hesitation made me drop the entire envelope back down onto my lap. This doesn't feel right. But I have no choice.

"I do not know Gloria; I have a bad feeling about this." I couldn't help but voice my feelings to her. Her wise dark eyes became glossy, understanding. Just like Sister Valerie used to. With a sigh my long fingers pulled the file out from the top of the envelope. It was standard issue. Yet, there was something off about its diminutive size. Oh man up and get over it. My fingers pulled open the folder to the main page. In large block letters it read:

TARGET: ERIC KOCH

AGE: 48

INFORMATION REQUIRED: PROJECT SHOAH

I hesitated, looking at Gloria. Shoah... I know that word... The lines on Gloria's face deepened at my reaction.

"What is Project Shoah?" I looked at the photo of a man in a crew cut, thick shoulders, strong nose. Everything in the small photo screamed military. "I've never heard of it." That was not necessarily surprising as her knowledge didn't stretch very far into the military bounds. Not like my own did due to my past... Experiences.

"Joey has not mentioned it to me before..." He would not really be allowed to though, would he? His dedication is to his work first and myself... I faltered for a moment. He probably has no dedication to me at all. 

I stared down at the file, the crease between my eyebrows deepening. "Not that he would really be allowed to. But I also haven't overheard any conversations mentioning it." Saying it out loud made my stomach churn. I wanted to believe that he trusted in me and would tell me if there was something important going on. But I knew he would not be able to.

"So someone wants to...?" She searched my face as I briefly scanned through the rest of the file. The only other objects in the file were surveillance photos of the man. He seemed to enjoy morning jogs and crisp black suits. With a prevailing lump tucked into the back of his pants. 

Do not trust a man of the military, young one, they have been trained in many things. They can take you down easily and extract every thought you've ever had with ease. A man's familiar voice rung I my head. 

My training rarely failed me.

"Honestly? Not a clue. But it does not sound good." And I do not understand what this man would have to do with it. Our eyes met in silence.

The bell to the front entrance rung a hollow sound, causing Gloria and I to jump to attention like trained dogs. The file still weighing my hands down. As well as the 'deposit' for the job, still within the envelope, some peeking out on the reading table.

"Anastasia!" Gloria's voice a squeak, ringing throughout the room. Both their eyes focused on my hands, then the money. "You're back early, I thought you would be volunteering at the hospital until 7 tonight?" Anastasia's eyes darted away from my eyes for a second, before returning. She thinks I'm going to keep it from her. My eyes raked over her. I should. If she dies I cannot return. Or worse. If she loves it, she will eventually learn to kill... And possibly enjoy it

I had to try and remember to keep my mind closed. As this psychic could read every coherent thought within my mind if she truly dared to. She had before, with some painful consequences on her end.