Chapter 13.

I woke up with a start, the previous dream drifting away as my weary mind fixated on the feeling left behind.

I could feel metal sitting between my fingers and a crease in my face.

I had fallen asleep on one of James' books.

The metal pencil dropped on the floor as a groan pulled itself out of my throat. I rose slowly, rifling through a duffel bag full of clothes, eyes stinging.

It was not long before I had escaped the tight confines and was running over the rooftops, out of sight from the world below.

I did not doubt that they now knew for sure that I was alive. As such, precautions had to be followed and as it was, I had left a note or two.

The wind threw my hair wild as I ran, hard rock met my feet as I dodged and ducked. I could feel the corners of my lips pulling upwards as the cool pre-morning breeze hit me. The city was already coming to life like always as I leapt over the edge of the building.

The pavement below called to me as I soared forward, body tight. At the last moment, I uncurled.

My hands gripped at the metal of a fire escape. Before I could lose momentum I pulled myself up and climbed, propelling myself up and over the edge. As I rolled, my breath escaped my lungs, but it did not stop me.

Not even the burning of my muscles or the tightness in my chest could as I kept running. The cold wind whipped at my face, tiny pin-pricks of life.

As I ran, the buildings began to thin out, the gaps becoming larger and larger to the point where I could not continue if I wanted to remain untraceable. My boots made heavy thumps as I made it to solid ground, not a witness to be seen.

A familiar old structure stood imposing in front of me, it's old fashioned arches high and gray walls covered in soot. My hair blew out from me as I hiked my jacket up higher, the morning sun had begun to peek over the lower lying buildings in the area.

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP.

The church doors opened slightly, a young bright face staring up at me.

"HEY! RED'S HERE!" He yelled as he let me in. My hand ruffling through his mess of hair.

No drug intoxicated persons this time.

And especially no Georgia.

A handful group of teenagers came running up to me. All happy to see me.

"Hey guys, place looks good."

"Hallelujah." My hand was taken by two others, wrinkled and long with a dulled old wedding ring. "Good to see you Scarlet." My head had to crane up to meet the Father's face.

A small smile graced my face as I took in his own grin.

"Taking care of them?"

"As much as one can take care of ruly homeless hormonal teenagers." He let out a little laugh as a groan echoed throughout the church. My hand pulled out of his as I searched the main room, a child taking me by the side.

"Where is Scout?" The Father's face nodded slowly, becoming serious.

"Ah, yes. This is a business visit." I nodded as I patted the head of the child that would not let go of me. Little Cole considered me his hero.

If only he knew that I was the opposite.

"Come on Cole. Get off her." An older girl shuffled through the excited cloud. Her british accent brushing off. Showing her earlier life before it went down the toilet. "What do you need?"

With a nod of my head we separated from everyone, entering business mode.

"I need the amazing talent of the invisible homeless to get two messages out." Scout winked at me causing a grin to give me away.

"Yours and Georgia's baby?" I rolled my eyes at her, but pulled a scrunched up piece of paper out of my pocket. My eyes squinted at it as my lips moved.

"They need to keep an eye out. I cannot assure that they will not be traced through me. I know Georgia can take care of both of them I just need her to keep a watchful eye out." I handed the piece of paper to Scout as she nodded. "Be subtle. They may be being watched to see if I come around."

"And this address?" I could feel her scrutinise the poor way in which I looked after it.

"Talk to Gloria only. Do not go in, just hang outside. She is old but do not spook her. I need you to tell her these exact words.

SHOAH is a go. Keep your back close. We are the lambs.

She should understand what that means."

"Sounds like you're not in a good situation." She grimaced as she looked down and scuffed her worn shoe on the floor.

"That is why I want you to stay as far out of this as I can keep you, Scout. I do not need them to know that I am funding homeless children in a church bought by a shell company. I want you guys to be safe."

No weaknesses, young one. Kill them all and burn the place to the ground.

I quickly rifled through my pocket and pulled out a handful of 100s. Shoving them into her hands I placed both my hands on her shoulders and looked her dead in the eyes. "Stay. Safe, Scout. I do not know if I will be able to come back."

A wet look began to form in her eyes as her eyebrows drew up.

"What do you mean 'if'? We-?" A tear had begun to form in her eye. "NO!"

The word echoed around the church drawing all attention to us.

"Scout. You are strong, smart, and a natural leader. When it is time, I will set up a way for us to keep in contact. When we set this up I told you that I would not be around forever."

"But it hasn't even been a year!" Worried mumbling began to fill the surrounding space.

"SCOUT!" My eyes flashed a harsh red as my usual cold mask took over. "This is serious. I need to keep you all safe." Tears had slowly begun to fall down her face as she started shaking. Time to cut deep for the scar to remain. "This is an ORDER. You have a problem with it, you can take it up with someone who cares."

I continued to stare at her with my activated gaze as she began to crumble. But just before she did, steel rose up and stared back at me.

"Thank you."

My red gaze died instantly.

"What?"

"You really care. To be coming down on us-on me so hard, you must really care."

A hard lump formed in my throat as no more words would leave my mouth.

I was not trained for this.

But children are my weakness...