Chapter 9.

"Alright Scarlet, what is it?" Joey came storming out, ears red after he had just decided to go to bed.

My watch told me that it was 0053.

I had stolen some of the wine for myself and I eyed him down as the glass slowly came down onto his dark coffee table. My body weight shifted slightly, a movement his eyes did not miss.

"What do you mean?" His chest was rising and falling rapidly as he stared at me.

"This!" His arm gesturing between us frantically.

A crease slowly formed between my eyebrows as I slowly rose from the couch, weight evenly balanced, knees slightly bent. "Why are you acting so weird?!"

Because I cannot trust you, 'Joey'.

I did not say it. I could not. Something had risen to my throat and would not allow the words to leave me... Yet it allowed others.

"I believe I am acting perfectly fine given my position." My heartbeat slowed into a steady rhythm, preparing for a fight that had to be coming. His patience was thin and he was still tired. A cover is easily blown by a strained mind.

"You're acting like I'm the enemy!" I stopped a few steps away from him, knees and shoulders loose.

"Are you?" The words hung in the air for a moment, just a moment before they were cast away.

"Jesus Christ-NO!" My head tilted to the left a little, he took a step back in return. "Stop that." My foot glided across the floor towards him. Testing. "Scarlet, seriously, you're freaking me out."

"You should be scared." It came out in a growl.

He is weak. You do not need more than a show of dominance, young one, to get him to scream.

"You work for those that seek to kill me." I could feel the burning pressure reach up behind my eyes. Ready to turn the world a bloody red.

"Jesus Scarlet, I'm not going to let them get you." My heartbeat changed for a moment against my will at the disappointment in his tone and etched into his glossy eyes.

"Why not?" My heartbeat sped into a nervous thumping that I could no longer control. I was not frightened... So why was my heart acting so odd?

"Because I have feelings for you okay? I don't want them to kill you!" I hesitated for a moment.

He is speaking the truth.

No. He is playing on your weaknesses. Kill him NOW!

"How do I know that you are telling the truth?"

I should not have phrased it that way as something in that sentence seemed to have given him an insane idea that in that moment, no one else would dare try.

I froze as soon as his lips smashed against my own. Chapped, yet soft, they were warm and dry.

His callused fingers came up to lightly grace my cheeks as he kissed me softer, my lips moving of their own accord with his.

I had kissed others before... But this was somehow different.

An odd feeling made my heartbeat speed up, abandoning its usual rhythm for something stronger.

And, for a moment, I let myself enjoy it. I enjoyed it too much.

A singular thought entered my mind, I could see he and I, and could feel his warm hands against my cold skin. Skin that no one was allowed to touch.