Chapter 14.

Hood up and hiding my face, I was three blocks away from James' place when I saw it.

Police vehicle.

My pace slowed slightly as I took in everything that I could see. There was another odd shape parked close to the main entry.

Black van. Dark, tinted windows. Hostage transport.

Or worse.

SHIT.

Ducking around the back streets, I entered through one of the windows in James' main bedrooms. Without teleporting, it proved to be difficult.

No James. Trap?

Leave them young one, they are not worth it. You are too valuable and are not invulnerable.

Pulling a gun out of one of my chest holsters, I checked it and kept low as I began to move throughout the apartment. Double checking every 'nook' and 'cranny'.

And then I heard them.

"And who leaves a goddamn note to keep quiet!"

Anastasia. Not alone.

"She's got a good reason to do it. She's done this before Ana." My steps faltered as I hesitated, an odd feeling churning in my stomach.

Ana?

Keeping low, I entered the main room... And was greeted accordingly.

"You! You fucking crazy person!" She threw a sticky note at me, it fluttered and landed not even a step away from her feet.

"Keep low." I hissed under my breath. James perked up slightly at seeing me, his eyes beginning to search for his own gun as he continued to watch me out of the corner of his eye. "We need to leave. NOW."

"Leave? Why the hell would we leave?" Anastasia started to shake, her face turning a bruising red as I continued to stay ducked low. "And why the hell is there a sticky note on the fucking drapes telling us not to move them!" She moved to pull it off of the curtains and my body reacted before my mind followed.

I teleported instantly to her side and snatched her hand away, unfortunately the sticky note followed.

And there was a distinct beep as an electronic system rebooted after electromagnetic interference. My electromagnetic interference.

Oh no.

"GET DOWN!" I tackled Anastasia to the ground as the first bullet pierced the wall.

My ears were assaulted by screaming as more bullets began to demolish James' south-facing lounge room wall.

Time began to slow.

Bullets whizzed past my ears, one clipping the side of my ear.

Leave her here to die.

I should. This is the last time I risk my life for her rich meat suit.

My head turned as my right hand kept her head firmly onto the hardwood floor.

"JAMES!"

Even though I screamed it, it came out as slow as I watched shining bullets pierce the furniture in half-time.

Craning my head further I could see James' body lying just out of my reach.

With a loud Russian string of curses, I moved myself away from Anastasia, keeping her screaming head still down as the tips of my fingers dug into his skin. Breaking the flesh I got a hard grip on him as I also tightened my fingers around Anastasia's hair.