Chapter 7

"I'm so sorry, again, that I haven't been in, I was-" 

Mrs. Carter cut me off with a smile, "Stop! Dear, I heard what happened, don't you worry. But what exactly put you in the hospital?"

"Fell down the stairs." I say, immediately coming up with the excuse we had decided on. Something in Mrs. Carter's face changed, almost as if she was disappointed in me...For half a second I wondered if she knew what happened and wanted me to tell the truth but...no, how on earth would she know anything about vampires, let alone Klaus' family? Then again I thought the same about Elena...

She sighed, "Well...be more careful in the future dear." 

"Will do." I smile, "And thanks again for the necklace." Reaching up, I fiddle with it absentmindedly. 

"You haven't taken it off?" She asks, smilling. I shake my head.

"Nope. Been there since you gave it to me." I say. She seems satisfied with this and turns back to stocking the shelves. I reach into the box  and go back to helping her.

After about 20 minutes she asks, "Can you please go into the back and get the last two boxes?"

"Sure thing." I say and turn around, going into the back of the store. I walk through the shelves for a while before stopping by the back door to grab the two boxes of items that had been delivered this morning. 

Once I have them in my arms, I start heading back to the store but stop as something catches my eyes. I turn to look at the small bottles on the shelf with a dark red liquid in them. 

"Holy shit..."

Vampire Blood. That's what was in the bottles. There was a small label infront of them in Latin, which I had taken 4 years of, that said lamia Sanguinem. 

So she did know...that must be why she didn't want me to leave with Klaus last week and why she seemed to know I was lying when I spoke of falling down the stairs...Klaus seemed to know her as well, did he know that she knew?

I hear the bell in the store ding and realize that I should get back. I think over what I just found as I walk into the store. I stop as I see who walked in.

"Rebekah." 

She turns to look at me, a smirk lacing her face, "Hello Clarabella."

"What are you doing here?" I ask, glancing at Mrs. Carter who was watching silently from behind the counter. 

"My brother wished for me to come and check on you. And while I don't normally play babysitter, I figured we needed to talk anyway."

"Well that can wait. I'm working." I reply, turning away from her and walking past rows of shelves into another area, beginning to restock the "hippie herbs" as I liked to call them.

"Too bad, I came all the way down here, might as well have a conversation." She states. I scowl. 

"Look...I don't particularly like you Rebekah. I've only ever seen you once and that was half a second before you tried to kill me. So, if I don't want to talk to you, I think it should be understandable." I say honestly. 

"Oh it's understandable, I just don't really care. Besides, what I wanted to talk about was my apology."

I stop at that, turning to face her, "What?"

She sighed, "Don't make this any more regretable than I think it will be...I am sorry for trying to kill you. I simply heard you peice together what we were and panicked. I've been running from my father for a thousand years...I simply didn't want to be forced to leave again."