Selfish ↠ Tsukishima Kei

Somewhat slow burn. More reader-centric than usual. Gender-neutral reader babe.

---

Colours. When I was younger, the thought of it seemed extraordinary. The grass was a colour called "green", and the waters of beaches I went to in the summer were "blue". The roses my neighbour's flower garden had been "red", and her gloves always "yellow".

That was what my father, teachers, and schoolmates would say. Those who were fortunate enough would educate the lesser ones, speak of the wonders of colours beyond the greyscale.

The thought itself was exciting, but as I get older I come to realise how I didn't mind so much not seeing colour.

18 years. I've lived without seeing why sunsets were so beautiful, without understanding the wonder of a rainbow, without getting why people were so interested with aurora borealis'.

I haven't seen colour yet, but that's fine by me. In a way, I dreaded the day I'd meet the one who'd introduce me to a world of colour. I feared it, even.

Humans will always have the fear of the unknown. The only difference amongst people is that some fear it more than others.

I feared the change colour would bring. Despite the enchantment it had among people, I imagine it would be difficult to adjust to it. That things would be different.

I didn't need it.

I'm already happy the way things are in my life.

---

University was, is, and will continue to be a pain in the ass.

It wasn't just the crazy deadlines on difficult projects- it was also all about the irregular sleeping schedules, constant transferring of classrooms and buildings, and the luxury sized eyebags.

It was about downing your 6th coffee cup at midnight, just halfway through rushing on a project you procastinated on, and accidentally falling asleep on your study desk. It was overpriced dorms, and part-time jobs.

That was why I doubt anyone could blame me for being so snappy today.

I entered the coffee shop with a glare pasted on my face, causing a cashier who saw me to grimace.

Thankfully, I only had to wait two minutes before it was my turn to order.

The cashier was a familiar face, him usually having a shift when I came around to buy a quick meal before heading to my first class.

I give him a millisecond smile, before putting my payment on the counter. "The usual."

"For here, or to go?" He asks me.

"To go. I'm only staying for a few minutes to finish up a report." I mutter quickly, not really looking to start a conversation. I might let my crankiness get to me, and I didn't really want to bitch out on my favourite cashier. He seemed to get the idea, having already seen my unpleasant expression when I entered earlier.

"Hey, (F/N), just go sit down somewhere first. I'll make and deliver your drink personally," He said with a smile, before handing me the receipt.

"Thanks," I said. I proceed to sit down by the empty table near the door, waiting for my drink to arrive. As the minutes passed, more people seemed to come into the coffee shop.

Most of them were quick to get their orders and leave, but some college students, in particular, had occupied empty tables.

When my drink is delivered, the messy haired cashier smiles apologetically. "I know you're in a bad mood, but..."