Chapter Two

Rose always seemed to find comfort with the horses, she had spent alot of time with Uncle Charlie over the years. Enough time for him to class her like a daughter "She's beautiful isn't she?" Charlie smiled as Rose brought a grey mare back from the field.

"Yes, but I hope Tommy doesn't think this is his winning horse" Rose jumped down off the horse and led it by the reigns into the open stable "What did you say her name was, Uncle Charlie?"

"Grace's secret" Charlie replied and Rose rolled her eyes.

"Course it is" She moaned "Is there any part of my brothers life that isn't controlled by her?"

"Not anymore" Charlie replied honestly. He had been secretly by the hold Tommy's new wife seemed to have over him. Grace was changing him and none of the Shelbys were sure if it was for the better or worse.

×××

Polly smiled when she opened the door and saw Roselie standing in front of her "Hello sweetheart" Polly hugged Roselie before ushering her quickly inside "So what do you think?" Polly gestured at the big house she had recently taken residency of.

"It's beautiful Pol, but doesn't it get lonely?" Roselie hinted towards an offer to move in, however Polly quickly stated her reason why Roselie couldn't move in with her.

"No because I have my son Micheal living with me" She beamed proudly.

"Micheal? Oh God Polly that's brilliant" Roselie grabbed Polly's hands in hers "Tommy found him for you?"

"Yes, he brought me this place aswell" Polly smiled.

"So you and Ada get a house of your own and I am expected to stay with Tommy and his whore wife" Roselie frowned.

"Tommy wanted you close so he could keep an eye on you" Polly admitted "Keep you out of trouble"

"I spent four years in a place full of women, some of them I wasn't particularly fond of. But it didn't concern me too much because I knew it wasn't going to be forever. Then when I get out I find myself guest in the home of a woman I can't stand..." Roselie continued into a rant "No doubt Tommy will have me working in The Garrison or down the Bookies"

"You should be grateful to come home to such finery" Polly snapped "Better than the tatters and turmoil you were used to"

"Polly I want to do something with my life, Ada moved to London and no-one questioned her intentions. Why do I have to stay so close to home?" Roselie argued.

"Because Ada has a sensible head on her shoulders..." Polly started, she was cut off by Roselie.

"I wouldn't call getting knocked up by Freddie Thorne sensible. Our Tommy's best friend, he's lucky he didn't meet his sticky end sooner..." Roselie had always been one to speak her mind.

"Rose, watch your mouth. We don't speak ill of the dead" Polly scolded her fiery niece.

Roselie rolled her eyes and inhaled deeply "All I am saying is Ada is allowed to make mistakes and still have her own life"

"You are alot younger than Ada, and much more unruly" Polly sighed "Lord knows why, but you seem to attract trouble"

Roselie couldn't really argue with Polly's observation, especially when she though about the American prison guard who had been taking care of her for the past four years.

"So Micheal? I want to hear all about him" She changed the subject, as she didn't want to get into an argument with the only mother she had ever known.

×××

It was late as Roselie walked through the dark alleys of Small Heath, she could hear footsteps behind her. She hastened her pace to try and escape the shadow, but their pace quickened also. Roselie gasped as a hand grabbed her waist and mouth from behind, she fought hard, but soon hesitated when she realised she recognised the man's voice "It's alright darlin it's me"

"Joe" Roselie turned quickly, she was facing him now. Joseph leant down and kissed Roselie hard. She pulled away and tried to catch her breath "I thought you said two weeks?"

"I couldn't wait that long" Joseph gasped for breath, the cold air had caught it "I've been going out of my mind locked up in that place without you"

"Really, well I happen to be doing just fine without you" Roselie bit her lip and smirked.

"Really?" Joe grinned before lifting Roselie off the ground and pushing her back onto the wall, she wrapped her legs around Joseph's waist and kissed him passionately "Are you sure about that? I could have you right here right now if I wanted...all you need to do is say the words"

Roselie didn't speak she just kissed Joseph again "I'm all yours" she whispered "But I refuse to be had in some dark alley way, take me somewhere"

"Where do you have in mind?" Joseph ran his fingertips along Roselie's Collarbone.

"Anywhere but here?" Roselie smirked.

"Fine come on" Joseph grabbed Roselie's hand and started to lead her away from the dark alley.

"Joe, what are you doing? Where are we going" Roselie tried to catch her breath.

"You'll see" Joseph continued to lead Roselie by the hand. Joe stopped when they reached a large building. He opened the door and held it open so Roselie could go inside. The room was small, a staircase led off to the left of the room. Joseph shut the door behind him and moved quickly back to Roselie, kissing her neck and grabbing her waist.

A few hours past as Roselie and Joseph laid in bed "I've wanted you in here since we first met" Joseph reached up and moved some hair from Roselie's face "God I never thought being with a woman could be this good"

"Yeah well I'm a tough act to to follow Sargent" Roselie grinned, she bit her lip and looked into Joseph's eyes "I could stay here forever"

"Things not how you expected them to be darlin" Joseph leant up a little onto his elbow and continued to fiddle with a piece of Roselie's hair.

"Not really, my brother Thomas has moved me in with him and his new wife, safe to say we don't really get on" Roselie took the cigarette Joseph had lit for her, they were both sat upright now. Roselie was sat on Joseph's legs, she watched curiously as Joseph shook his head.

"Your family take you for granted, I mean you have just come home after being locked away for, four years. Surely it will do them no harm to ask you where you want to be?"

"Apparently I am far to unruly and unpedictable to be left unsupervised" Roselie smirked and Joseph laughed.

"And I suppose this proves otherwise, taking strange men who follow you home, to bed" He teased.

"Excuse me Joseph Buckley, but I am pretty sure I am here by invitation and I don't take all strange men to bed. Some of them gain a bullet in the head" Roselie smirked playfully.

"Remind me never to give you a gun" Joseph sniggered.

"I would never shoot at you, love" Roselie bit her lip and squealed as Joseph grabbed Roselie by the waist and laid her down, before climbing on top of her.