Chapter Fifteen

Roselie sat down opposite Alfie "I'm sorry for intruding on you like this Alfie, but...well I'm not entirely sure who else I can turn to"

"My door is always open for you my dear, you know that" Alfie was concerned for Roselie "Your hands are shaking, would you like a drop of rum?"

"Please" Roselie nodded and watched as Alfie stood up to pour a glass of white rum.

"I have to admit, I wasn't sure if I'd be seeing you again after the dinner ended So abruptly" Alfie handed Roselie the glass.

"I'm sorry I rushed off the way I did, it's just..." Roselie necked the rum.

"Another?" Alfie handed her the bottle and watched with a smile as Roselie poured herself another drink "Listen I understand my revelations must have shocked you...but you have to trust my intention was honourable. I was concerned, especially after seeing you being harassed by Joseph King"

"He wasn't" Roselie felt the need to be honest with Alfie "Thing is Alfie, Joseph and I...well there is a history there and I know I shouldn't be telling you. But I feel we can't move forwards if we have secrets, And I want to move forward. Not just because of the arrangement you had with my brother, but because you are one of the few men on this earth who haven't tried to do me wrong..."

Alfie swallowed hard as Rosleie touched his hand gently "Like I said Rose, you are different from other women..."

"Then perhaps we could wipe the slate clean and start again? I don't want to build a relationship with you based on my brothers arrangement. I want to build it on our terms..." Roselie smiled gently and spoke softly "Would that be alright with you?"

"Do you know something, I think that would be more than alright Rose..." Alfie grinned as he touched Roselie's hand "Shall we start by going out to dinner tonight?"

"Yeah I'd like that" Roselie nodded and started to stand "Pick me up at 7 sharp"

×××××××

Roselie walked confidently into the Garrison "There she is" Arthur called out from behind the bar "My beautiful sister"

"Have you been drinking again brother?" Roselie teased.

"Come on then Rose, show us what you can do" A drunken man grabbed her from behind and pulled her onto his lap "Lets see what's under that dress"

Roselie didn't get chance to react, as both John and Arthur flew at the man. Cutting his face with the blades, that were embedded in their caps "Touch our sister would you...you fucking scum" John spat ferociously as he beat the man's face.

Blood splattered across Roselie's dress and face, as she tried to pull Arthur away from the man. He had become unhinged and was pounding his face violently "Arthur stop...JOHN HELP ME" Roselie cried as she saw the man starting have some sort of seizure "ARTHUR NO, YOU'LL FACE THE GALLOWS IF YOU KILL HIM"

"Arthur stop or you'll hang" John was now trying to move Arthur off the man.

Suddenly a gun shot fired and Arthur turned instantly, Roselie was stood with the Gun pointed at the ceiling. Arthur looked around and saw the carnage he has caused, on doing this he fell backwards onto the ground.

"Shit" Roselie exclaimed as she pushed the Gun into John and rushed down to Arthur's side. She cradled his head against her chest as he started to tremble and snarl "Shhh it's alright brother, your not in France now...you're home. It's alright" Roselie soothed as she gently rocked Arthur "John get them out and pour your brother a whiskey" Roselie ordered. John did exactly as he was told.

××××××××

Arthur sat staring at his glass "You need help Arthur" Roselie spoke softly.

"Tommy said..." Arthur started and Roselie rolled her eyes.

"Tommy would leave you wild for his own gain. He likes having a mad brother by his side...you need to think of yourself first brother, think of the damage you're doing...not just to the people you hurt but to yourself..." Roselie spoke the truth and John knew it. He shared his sister's views when it came to Tommy. They had both decided and used the people who loved him to do whatever he decided. He tested their loyalty relentlessly and didn't care at what cost.

"Tommy loves us" Arthur tried to protest but Roselie and John shared a look.

"The only person Tommy loves is himself" John interrupted "When has he ever given us a second thought? I mean he's even asking Roselie to behave like a whore"

"No John, I made a decision Tommy didn't force me" Rose replied "But what he's doing to you Arthur, leaving you with this madness just to benefit himself? It's cruel beyond measure..."

××××××××

Tommy was sat in his office when Roselie returned "Rose?!" he called out and Roselie entered "Where have you been?"

"To see Alfie...He has invited out to dinner this evening" she smirked and Tommy raised his eyebrows.

"And you're going?" Tommy wondered curiously. Roselie laughed slightly.

"Of course" she exhaled before walking out into the hallway.

Polly stood and watched her as she disappeared into her room "What was that about?" she asked Tommy as she closed the door behind her.

"Rose has arranged dinner this evening, with Alfie Solomans" Tommy replied smugly "On her own accord, she wasn't prompted this time"

"You think she's coming around..." Polly was cautious.

"To Alfie Solomans perhaps...but not to our way of thinking" Tommy looked up at Polly "If she does become involved with Alfie then it will be on her terms not ours. Truth is her heart still lies with Joseph King"

"No" Polly shook her head "Even your sister isn't that stupid, she wouldn't betray us like that Tommy...especially not for the likes of Joseph King"

"Really, well has she come to you recently? With any troubles?" Tommy looked stern as he spoke and very sure of himself.

"No why would she?" Polly Looked confused.

"You claim she isn't stupid...so then why is it she is hiding the child she carries?" Tommy's question flawed Polly "She carries his child Pol, Joseph King"

"How did you...? I thought she got rid of it" Polly frowned.

"She did the first time...she tried to this time but couldn't go through with it" Tommy replied with confidence "Billy Kitchen's wife Irene was talking to the gypsy woman who treated her...now my sister has planned to go for dinner with Alfie Solomans tonight and I believe she has an motive in mind...i think she plans on laying with Alfie tonight and then claiming him to be the father of her child..."

Polly wasn't sure if this was she wanted to hear, and she certainly wasn't sure if this sounded like something Roselie would. I mean she had known her niece to be a little unruly in the past, but to lie about the identity of her baby's father, surely even Roselie wouldn't pull a stunt like this.

The trouble was now, the more she watched Tommy the more she realised he approved of Roselie's idea...