Chapter Twenty-One

3 months later
Boston

Roselie threw back the drapes and looked around the room. She was now near full term in her pregnancy. She smiled as she walked over to the desk, a picture of her and Joseph stood in a silver frame.

"ROSE" Joseph's voice echoed around the house.

"In here Joe" Roselie called out, Joseph hurried towards the office.

"You're supposed to be resting...Dr Taylor..." Joseph spoke in a concerned tone.

"Dr Taylor doesn't understand that spending all day in bed is enough to drive me to distraction" Roselie smiled "Besides I wasn't doing much, just looking"

"Looking? Looking for what Darlin?" Joseph seemed frustrated by his wife's disobedience.

"I was thinking this room would make an excellent nursery for the children" Roselie smiled as she eyes the space "Plenty of room for Jacob to play in...and maybe we should think about hiring some staff...you know like nursemaids and a cook perhaps"

"Fine" Joseph couldn't help but smile at the stubbornness of his wife "Whatever you want, but first you need to get yourself back to bed"

"Joe" Roselie inhaled deeply.

"Please darlin" Joe's pleads seemed yo soften his wife this time.

"Alright fine" Roselie sighed as she allowed Joe to lead her back to bed "Just promise me you'll hire a nursemaid Joe and..."

"Build a nursery" Joe grinned "Yeah I promise"

Suddenly as Roselie turned she felt a trickle run down her leg to her ankle. She reached out and quickly grabbed Joseph's arm "Joe...my waters" Roselie gasped as Joe reached out to hold her steady.

"It's all right Darlin" Joe turned his head away from Roselie "MOLLY" he called out and within seconds a young  looking nurse ran towards them "Send for the doctor, it's time"

"Yes Mr King" Molly smiled as rushed towards the telephone.

××××××

Screams filled the house as Rose tossed frantically on the bed. Her pain was too unbareable to settle "Is it meant to be this hard the second time?" Rose cried.

"I'm afraid so my flower" and older woman had now arrived "That's why they call it labour. The worst is almost over now. I dare say in another hour you will have your baby in your arms Mrs King"

×××××

Joseph found himself pacing frantically outside the bedroom door. The sound of Roselie crying out, was enough to put him pn edge "Can't I just go in there? She needs me" he asked a nurse who shook her head.

"I'm sorry Mr King but no" the nurse replied, hoping she wouldn't have to fight with the man of the house.

"JOEEEEE" Roselie screamed causing Joseph to rush into the bedroom.

"Mr King it's not proper for a man to be present..." the young nurse followed after him "I'm sorry I couldn't stop him"

"Its alright darlin" Joseph soothed as he sat on the bed beside Roselie "I'm here"

Roselie let out a few more screams before finally groaning "Arghhhh" she yelled, suddenly the sounds of a babys cry filled the room.

"Congratulations, you have a girl" an older nurse smiled as she handed Roselie the small baby swaddled in a blanket.

"A little you" Joseph grinned widely as he looked down at his daughter "God help us all" he chuckled before kissing Roselie hard on her head.

"She's perfect" Roselie smiled proudly.

××××

"Its a girl" Polly announced as she walked into Tommy's office "Your sister gave birth to a girl a few hours ago"

"A girl" Tommy poured himself yet another whiskey.

"Its not to late to call her, congratulate her?" Polly knew her suggestion was a bold one, but she hoped a new baby might soften Tommy a little.

"Isn't it Pol?" Tommy sniffed "She has made her choice, she told me never to speak to her again"

"That was before, she has changed Tommy. America suits her, she is a mother and a wife" Polly sat down opposite Tommy "I find her to be a little more rational now"

"Rational...Our Rose rational?" Tommy frowned "I find that hard to believe"

"You should give her a chance, she might surprise you" Polly hesitated "Close the rift between you, new life brings new hope"

××××

Roselie watched as Joseph cradled their daughter in his arms, she was sat on the floor with Jacob in the newly decorated nursery.

"How about Frances?" Joseph spoke softly as the couple threw baby girls names back and forth.

"She doesn't look like a Frances" Roselie shook her had and moved some hair from Jacob's face "What do you think Jacob, what would you like to call her...?"

"Hattie" Jacob smiled referring to his toy cat.

Roselie and Jacob laughed at their son's suggestion "Its not a terrible idea" Joseph inhaled.

"Hattie no, but I could live with Harriet?" Rosalie smiled and Joseph nodded. He walked towards his wife and son and sat gently on the floor beside them "Harriet King" he repeated, with a smile "You my darlin are going to change the world"

Roselie rested her head on Joseph's shoulder as he looked down at his family. Never in his life had Joseph felt more complete. He listened as Roselie took a deep sigh.

Roselie looked down at her son who was now sat next to his mother's legs. She gently stroked his head with one hand as she rest her other hand on her baby girl. She couldn't remember the last time she had felt so settled. Joseph King had given her the one thing she never though she was worthy of, someone she could rely on. And more importantly he made her feel loved and secure.

××××

Tommy inhaled deeply as he entered the familiar derelict looking building. He wasn't sure what to expect, but he had come prepared incase his intentions were misunderstood.

"You've got some balls, I'll give you that" A larger figure walked towards him "What I'm gods name has brought you here Tommy?"

"I came to talk to you about business Alfie" Tommy walked in through the door Alfie had opened for him.

"And what business would that be, what would make you think I would ever trust you again...?" Alfie sat down on a chair and leant forward on his desk.

"Because I know you have feelings for my sister" Tommy inhaled as he lit a cigarette "And with your help I plan on bringing her back home to London"

Alfie wasn't sure how to feel about Tommy's proposal, or the fact he obviously hadn't learn from his mistakes with Rosalie. Was his family really this disposable to him? Was Thomas Shelby really willing to use his sister again to get what he wanted?