Chapter Twelve

"You look beautiful Rose" Tommy exhaled as he walked into the lounge.

Roselie was wearing an emerald green dress, her hair was pinned up elegantly "Where's Alfie?" Roselie wondered.

"In the drawing room" Tommy replied.

"I don't appreciate being used like this Tom" she scolded as she put her shoes on.

"I know, it will be the last time I call on you like this I promise" Tommy lit a cigarette.

"As if I belive that Thomas, you will use me for whatever duties you see fit...tell me were you planning on telling me about marrying Alfie Solomans? Or were you just hoping I would swoon willingly?" Roselie took a cigarette off Tommy and allowed him to light it "Do I not get a choice?"

"It's not about a choice Rose, sometimes we have to make sacrifices" Tommy exhaled "Mine was  Grace" Roselie took hold of Tommy's hand, she wanted to comfort her brother "Tell me Rose, do I need to be worried about where your loyalties lie?"

"No Tom" Roselie spoke gently "My loyalty has always been with my family"

Tommy's heart sank a little when he realised Roselie was being truthful. He remembered the reason his sister had been sent to prison. All of a sudden he felt like a bit of a hypocrite.

"Excuse me Mr Shelby...Miss Shelby, but a Mr Solomans is getting restless" a young maid came into the lounge.

"We'll finish this conversation later" Roselie frowned before picking up her fur coat and headed out into the entrance hall.

××××××××

"Wow you look incredible, I'm glad I bought this now" Alfie opened his suit jacket wide highlighting the fact it was new "At least I won't look out of place as I escort you to dinner tonight"

"You never look out of place Alfie" Roselie smiled politely "Maybe we should head off, we wouldn't want to be late. And if I'm honest the sooner I get out of this house the better"

"Who am I to stand in your way" Alfie grinned "I have a car waiting outside, shall we?"

Tommy watched Alfie and Roselie get in Alfie's car, from his bedroom window.

×××××××××

Roselie smiled as she met with all of Alfie's associates, she greeted them elegantly and seemed to hold their attention. She moved with confidence and class from man to man, not once getting out of her depth with business talk.

Roselie's eyes widened when she spotted a familiar face across the room, starring back at her with a knowing look in his eye was none other than Joseph King...

Roselie didn't speak, she quickly excused herself and headed out into the garden, before lighting a cigarette.

Her heart raced as she heard footsteps behind her "Rose" Joseph's voice rushed through Roselie like a whirlwind if emotions "Rose please darlin" Joseph pleaded as he grabbed her arm

"What?" Roselie turned to face Joseph.

"Alfie Solomans?" Joseph raised his eyebrows "You really think he doesn't have another intention for you?"

"And you don't?" Roselie pulled her arm away.

"The only intention I have for you now is making you my wife" Joseph hissed.

"There you see, you have more in common with Mr Solomans than you think" Roselie smirked, much to Joseph's annoyance "You're not so different afterall"

"You compare me to that Jewish Dog?" Joseph spat.

"No" Roselie exhaled as she moved closer to Joseph and touched his cheek "He is an honest man Joseph, a bad man...but honest. I have no time for this tonight Joe, I'll come to your office tomorrow. We can discuss it then"

As Roselie turned to walk away she was surprised to feel Joseph's hand grab her again "Joseph please"

"Everything alright out here Rose" Alfie's clumsy tone came from the door out onto the garden. He was standing just outside the door frame.

"It's fine Alfie" Roselie frowned "Mr King was just leaving, weren't you?"

"Yeah" Joseph tipped his hat a little "Goodnight Miss Shelby" he forced out before walking past Alfie and back inside.

"Thank you for that" Roselie smiled weakly as Alfie handed her some punch "Alfie why did you bring me here? Am I just an accessory?"

"What? NO of course not" Alfie frowned much to Roselie's amusement, she knew he was lying "Well yes that's all you were to begin with. I'm sorry but I can't lie to you anymore Rose. I had made plans to do a deal with Thomas...to marry you, but the moment I met you I found myself curious" Alfie gestured for the pair to sit "You see the thing is I expected you to be just like Tommy, like the rest of your family...but you're not..."

"Is that a bad thing?" Roselie couldn't help but look into Alfie's eyes "That I'm not like them..."

"No its a good thing" Alfie took Roselie's hand and cupped it inside his own "You are different most of the women in this world and that is a very good thing indeed"

Roselie didn't speak, she simply sat still as Alfie move forwards. His lips touched hers and she didn't so much as flinch. Roselie allowed her hand to free itself from Alfie's. She touched his face gently, the pair pulled away and looked at eachother.

×××××××××

"Do you think she means it?" Polly asked as she sipped some whiskey. She was sat with Tommy in his office "Do you think she'll stay loyal to this family?"

"I think Joseph King has his claws in deep" Tommy also drank whiskey "But our Rose is still in there somewhere, I saw it for myself tonight"

"I hope your right Tom, because out of all the enemies we have been up against...making Roselie one could cause our downfall..." Polly sniffed and lit a cigarette.

"We'll never face her as an enemy though Pol, she is a Shelby by blood..." Tommy seemed certain of this.

×××××××

"Thank you for such a lovely evening Alfie" Roselie smiled as she walked with her arm in his.

"You're welcome, I'm sorry you had to deal with Joseph King...especially after everything his brother has done..." Alfie spoke openly.

"Sebastian?" Roselie exhaled deeply "Why, what has..."

"Forgive me my dear I assumed you knew" Alfie stopped and looked as Roselie, whose face was now full of confusion "The premature death of your brothers wife..."

"Wait, are you saying Sebastian King killed Grace?" Roselie was a mixture of shocked and furious by Alfie's revelation.

"Yeah" Alfie replied "That's what I'm saying, he was responsible..."

Roselie's heart pounded in her chest at the thought of her sister-in-law murderer being so closely connected to her. How was she going to look Tommy in the face now?