Chapter Seven

Tommy stood quickly as the door came out of Roselie's room "Doctor" his voice was urgent "Is she alright?"

"Mr Shelby" the doctor half smiled "Your sister is going to be fine, I would say the cold from the rain and her exhaustion probably caused the collapse. Her condition wouldn't have helped matters though"

"Condition?" Tommy questioned and he doctor hesitated.

"The pregnancy" The doctor replied and Tommy gritted his teeth. A rush of fury filled him.

"She's pregnant?"

"Yes Mr Shelby, I would guess around 2 months" the doctor packed the rest of his instruments away in his bag and closed it.

"Alright thank you doctor" Tommy ran his hand through his hair as he tried to make sense of what he had been told. The more he thought about it the more he realised..."Joseph Fucking King" He snarled furiously, Grace stood in confusion as Tommy stormed past her.

"Tommy?" She called out, but he was already in his car.

××××××

Joseph King wasn't used to visitors, especially not the uninvited variety, he had a feeling he knew why Thomas Shelby had arrived at his office.

"You don't need to read me the riot act, Rose told me she was done" Joseph had been drinking whiskey "Said it was over..."

"What and that's it it's forgotten?" Tommy was furious.

"I'm not going to harass her if that's what you're worried about, she ended it before any damage was done. You're reputation is in tact" Jackson sighed.

"You son of a bitch" Tommy saw red "You think I give a fuck about my reputation, when you have ruined hers" Joseph paid attention as soon as Tommy drew his gun "Was it all part of the plan? Aye? Seduce her, pump her for information and get her pregnant? OI" Tommy yelled.

"Fucking look at me"

"She's pregnant? I didn't, she didn't tell me" Joseph stuttered, he seemed to be in shock. Tommy kept the gun pointing at Joseph.

"TOMMY" Roselie's voice echoed around the building "STOP" she looked weak and fragile.

"Rose darlin" Joseph walked closer to her, but thought better of it when he noticed her glare.

"Stay where you are" she snapped furiously "I didn't come here for your benefit, I came to stop my brother from doing something stupid. You're not worth the gallows"

"Rose please, can we at least talk about this? I know you're pregnant" Joseph exhaled deeply, still watching Tommy's every move out of the corner of his eye.

"And? What do you want to say Joe? Nothing's changed I want none of you..." Rose looked into Joe's eyes.

"You're not keeping the baby are you?" Tears filled Joseph's eyes and for the first time he looked vaunrable.

"You used me as a weapon against my brother and for that I can never forgive you" Roselie sighed and looked towards her brother "Take me home please"

"Gladly" Tommy snarled, Joseph's head turned towards Tommy.

"Don't you fucking dare" Joseph spat furiously "I know what you did, you claim to love her but you're othing more than a snake in the grass

"Don't you fucking dare" Joseph spat furiously "I know what you did, you claim to love her but you're othing more than a snake in the grass. Now darlin listen to me" He turned back to Roselie again "I know you're angry but I can explain...I'm not saying right now but when you're ready please give me chance to explain"

"Not likely" Tommy was furious.

"You don't fucking own me Thomas Shelby" Roselie retaliated "I want to hear what Joseph has to say. He deserves the chance to explain, leave us"

Everything in Tommy's body was urging him to kick off. But he knew he had to keep calm, Roselie was carrying this man's child. If he made the wrong move she could easily agree to marry Joseph and then his plan to get Alfie onside would be finished. Tommy took a deep breath in and nodded.

"You've got 10 minutes" Roselie sniffed.

"Rose darlin" Joseph tried, but was immediately shut down.

"Don't, I want facts Joe not bullshit" Roselie replied "I want to know why you took me to that little cottage? Why you didn't tell me the truth as soon as I was free? The whole time we...it was just a game. I was just..."

"Listen to me, nothing could ever prepare me for this" He spoke gently "And you're right you were part of my plan to begin with. But the more time I spent with ya the more I realised..."

"Realised what? That I'm cheap, only good for one thing...' Roselie spat angrily.

"Realised I love ya..." Roselie closed her mouth instantly "Isn't it obvious? Lord knows I've tried not to, I've tried putting you out of my mind. But you're etched into me so God damn deep. You're in my veins Roselie Shelby...You're my only weakness" Joseph lit a cigarette and looked deep into Roselie's eyes "Go ahead, tell me I'm lying. Coz fuck me I wish I were...I love ya Rose, always have...always will" he paused "And knowing my child is in you..."

Roselie had been left flawed by Joseph's revelation, her heart pounded in her chest as she felt Joseph's hand moved around to the small of her back "I know I'm not a man of many fancy words, or a man of romance. But I can make you happy and I know you feel the same way too..."

"Joe I..." Roselie was still stunned.

"Marry me Rose...let me take this burden away from ya" Joseph's breaths were deep as he moved his face towards her "Let me make this child legitimate, he added as he put his hand on top of Roselie's stomach. She looked down before looking back up to speak.

"I do love you" She whispered as she placed a hand on his cheek "But if I marry you, then I know I'll spend every day for the rest of my life wondering if you only married me to get one of on my brother...if it was one last dig at Tommy, making me yours. I'm sorry but I can't betray Tommy like that. He's still my brother and where I'm from family comes first" Tears fell from Roselie's eyes as she turned away. Joseph didn't follow her he just stood in shock and watched as she dissappeared out of sight.

Tommy was smoking a cigarette near the car when Roselie finally appeared. He half smiled "You should know that, that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...he might be your enemy...but I loved him Tom"

Tommy didn't reply he just put his hand on Roselie's shoulder "I know, now come on let's get you home"