prologue

The quiet sound of the pool water splashing against the sides was all Camila could hear as she ran her hand through it.

"What's your laziness level right now?" Camila asked the boy beside her. She and Shawn were laid stomach down beside each other near the corner of the pool, each with a hand to feel the coolness of the water in the summer heat.

Shawn thought for a second before responding, "Six. How about you?"

Camila raised a brow, "Hmm... eight. And a half."

"And a half?" Shawn questioned with a laugh as he opened her eyes and hoisted himself up so he was sitting on the edge of the pool with his feel dangling in the water.

"It's the last day of summer. I don't want to do anything. I can't imagine going back to school, even if it is our junior year." Camila's dull eyes stared blankly at the water.

"I sure can. Our summers are never exciting. They're always so boring. Not that I don't love spending every day by the pool with you, Mila." Shawn said, jumping into the pool.

The brunette flinched at the feel and sound of the water splashing in surprise. She smiled once she heard the sound of Shawn popping back out of the water and taking a big breath. "Well what are you looking for in our summers then? What do you want?"

Shawn rested his arms on the side of the pool to hold himself up. "I want something interesting. You know, romance."

"Romance? You're such a hopeless romantic. Didn't you say all of the girls in our class look like frogs?" Camila laughed out as she sat up and felt around for where Shawn was. He brought his hand out to to touch hers.

"Well, yes, but she doesn't have to be in our class. It could be anyone. You know, most people aren't as hesitant as you to kiss someone." The boy grinned.

"Hey! I'm just waiting for someone right." Camila snapped grumpily, and splashed some water towards him.

"There's always Colson." Shawn let out a laugh and Camila furrowed her brow again.

"Oh, Colson. He's such a womanizer. He's interested in every girl, and not just for sex, just for the entertainment of dating someone."  Camila scoffed. "I wouldn't let him kiss me in a million years."

"Well who do you suppose you're going to kiss?" Shawn asked and Camila took a few seconds to respond.

"Well I could always just kiss you." The boy went red where he wasn't already burnt from the sun a little. He wasn't opposed to the thought of that. "But that's not how ai want my first kiss to be. I want it to be special. I want him to be romantic and dreamy."

"Who's the hopeless romantic now?" The brown haired boy laughed and gave her a gentle shove. "Are you coming into the water or not?"

"Of course I am!" Camila laughed and hoisted herself into the water.

After hours of swimming and sunbathing, the two finally began to dry off.

"I can't believe the days almost over already." Shawn said as he began guiding Camila back into the house.

"Yeah, me neither, I wish we had more time to just do nothing." She laughed and reached out to feel her surroundings.

"Careful, there's the door here." Shawn paused and waited for her to step over the bottom stop of the sliding door before closing it behind them. "Your clothes are in the living room, let me go grab them." Shawn offered and ran off before returning shortly. "Do you need help?"