chapter four

"We got our full packets for the camping trip today. What did your mom decide about the it?" Shawn raised a brow as he sat next to Camila in their literature class the next day, Friday.

"She said she's letting me go. Only because she wants me to get a good lab grade this semester." Camila explained, "Did you talk to her or anything recently?"

"I mean, not about the trip, no. We did talk about how amazing her sandwiches are though." Her best friend laughed and Camila felt the desk behind her shift.

"Lauren?" She questioned, turning in that direction.

"Hey, I just got here, what are we talking about?" The girl asked in a raspy voice.

"The camping trip. It's so we can get the samples we need for the inquiry lab." Shawn explained.

"Oh yeah. Sounds like fun. I hear we get to bring tents and everything?" Lauren asked.

"Yeah but that's not the only thing people bring. Last year the juniors brought a shit ton of alcohol. I'm surprised they didn't get caught." Shawn rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, they can be pretty stupid sometimes." Camila laughed.

Ms. Steinfeld closed the door to the class room and began walking back to her desk. "Okay, today we're starting our first project, so get your behind in a seat please, Mr. Foley." she raised a brow and Justin sat back down.

"Sorry teach," he smiled and sat down.

"Okay, so our project is going to be on the Trojans and the Greeks. Now that we're reading The Iliad and learning about the Trojan war it's important that you have a clear grasp on what heroes and characters contribute during the war and their respective alliances." Ms Steinfeld explained while she began to turn on the projector. "You'll be working in pairs."

Camila smiled and Shawn turned her way and brought a hand to touch hers. It was just understood that they would be partners like the had with every other project in high shool.

"However, the pairs must be of either boys or girls. Boys, you'll cover the Greeks, Girls will cover the Trojans."

Camila's smile fell and she shrugged "Next project we'll work together, I guess." Her mind began to panic a bit as she wondered who would want her as a partner, but she was interrupted when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Want to be my second half?" Lauren leaned forward and whispered in her ear.

Camila smiled and nodded, bringing her hand back and over her shoulder and holding Lauren's hand for a second before reaching to set up her brailler and take notes on the project.

__________

"It's awful. I'm stuck working with Justin on this stupid project. It doesn't even make sense to divide us up by gender. I'm calling bullshit." Shawn complained to Camila as they sat in the courtyard waiting for Lauren.

"Jesus, I feel bad for you. He's not the worst out of them though. Just be thankful that Brad isn't in our class." Camila laughed and nudged him.

"Camz," Lauren approached the two, "You said your parents aren't getting home until late tonight?"

Camila and Shawn stood up. "Yeah, my parents always work late on Fridays. I usually stay at my abuela's house but she had an appointment. My parents agreed to let me stay home alone for once."

"You wouldn't want to go with me to grab a bite to eat and work on the project, would you?" Lauren offered.

"I don't know that my parents would let me." Camila sighed.