chapter twelve

Camila sat by herself on the grass, silently listening to the distant voices. Shawn didn't come back. He probably went to bed instead and she started to wonder whether or not she should just do the same. She got up, unfolding her cane and deciding to look for him instead.

She swept the area, walking down the hill and towards the pool, wondering if the boy went there instead to clear his head after his poor reaction.

The blind girl stepped carefully, but she could hear the sound of splashing by the pool. Someone was there but she was hoping that that someone was Shawn.

"Camila! Come get in the water." She heard a laugh and she smiled as she recognized Lauren's voice. Her brow furrowed when she heard another one accompany it.

"Yeah, the water feels great!" Colson laughed. The two were clearly drunk, almost making Camila wish she had drank more.

"I don't know. I'm looking for Shawn, have you seen him anywhere?" She questioned.

"No, he probably went to bed." Lauren laughed, the two splashing around in the water.

"Yeah, you can watch the sunset with us!" Colson exclaimed. Camila sighed.

"Colson!" Lauren scolded as she laughed wildly.

"Sorry, sorry!"

Camila shrugged and sighed. "Well... I don't even have my swimsuit on, so I'll pass." She said dully.

"Neither do we." Lauren giggled. A blush crept over Camila's face and she gulped hard. "Just swim in your underwear like us! C'mon, Camz."

Camila sighed before nodding her head, "Alright, fine. Whatever." She pulled her shorts down and tugged her shirt over her head, leaving them in a pile by the edge of the pool.

"Uh, could you help me, Lauren?" Camila asked as she folded her cane, unsure of where to get into the pool. Lauren quickly jumped out, shaking a bit in the cold air, as she walked over to Camila and took her arm clumsily.

She tugged the girl towards her so that their faces her right next to each other. "I am so... so happy that we became friends." She whispered. Camila let out a mix of a laugh and a cough as she smelt the alcohol on the girl's breath.

"Yeah, uh, me too." She smiled back.

"So how did things go with Shawn? Are you guys back together. I mean as friends, although I forget that you two aren't actually dating sometimes." The girl laughed loudly as she led Camila to the water and down the steps into the pool. It was freezing seeing as it was a breezy night in the middle of fall, even though the pool was heated.

"Well, they were fine at first and we reconnected and got something to drink but-" Camila was cut off.

"So you did drink? That's great!" The girl proclaimed, taking a seat on the steps as she played with Camila's hands under the water.

"But I think I might have said something to upset him." Camila said. "He left and didn't come back."

"Well he's always been super grumpy all the time." Lauren rolled her eyes. "Maybe you should just relax right now; try to forget about him. I can tell he's been stressing you out."  The girl said quietly and put a hand on Camila's thigh. "I know! I have some of my drink left. Straight vodka, we can split the rest, how about that?"